- Mar 26 EnviroThursday - "Sustainable Saint Paul: Greening the Capital City"
- Mar 31 Inaugural Lecture of Thomas Halverson, DeWitt Wallace Professor of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
- Apr 2 Discussion: Greece in Turmoil
- Apr 11 Macalester Concert Choir and Highland Camerata
- Apr 12 Chopin Society presents pianist Yevgeny Sudbin
- Apr 12 Wind Ensemble Concert
- Apr 14 Global Citizens Celebration
- Apr 17 Chamber Ensemble Concert
- Apr 19 Early Music Ensemble Concert
- Apr 24 Spring Dance Concert
After weeks of construction, the Loch, Macalester’s expanded student lounge, opened on April16th. A group of faculty and students worked with Pope Architects to design the space whileMcGough handled the construction. The Loch features an enclosed video game area, a new BonAppetit food bar featuring made-to-order pizzas and Izzy’s ice cream, and additional seating.The popcorn, which was the hallmark of the old student lounge, is still free in the Loch. Thename was chosen deliberately to highlight Macalester’s Scottish roots and to maintain the themeof the Highlander, which previously occupied the space.
The expanded space is intended to provide students with a wider range of uses for the loungeincluding as a place for student organizations to hold events. There is a raised stage with lightingand a sound system designed for student performances. The week of the ribbon cutting wasmarked by events each day and long term programming is planned including continuing thetradition of Study Sundays and showing popular television events like Monday Night Footballthrough the projector above the stage.