- Feb 3 Taste of Service
- Feb 3 Macalester New Music Series presents INTERSECTION: Jazz Meets Classical Song
- Feb 4 'Moving Beyond Minnesota Nice:' Engaging Diversity in the Classroom
- Feb 12 Mitau Lecture
- Feb 17 Black History Month Keynote: Dr. Joy DeGruy - "Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome"
- Feb 18 Mental Health Awareness Film & Speaker
- Feb 19 The Inaugural Lecture of James Dawes as DeWitt Wallace Professor of English
- Feb 19 Robert Blanchette on "Tombs, sunken ships and historic huts: studying ancient wood reveals secrets from the past"
- Feb 19 Chamber Music at Macalester: Brahms Clarinet Quintet with Osmo Vanska
- Feb 20 Macathon 2015
After weeks of construction, the Loch, Macalester’s expanded student lounge, opened on April16th. A group of faculty and students worked with Pope Architects to design the space whileMcGough handled the construction. The Loch features an enclosed video game area, a new BonAppetit food bar featuring made-to-order pizzas and Izzy’s ice cream, and additional seating.The popcorn, which was the hallmark of the old student lounge, is still free in the Loch. Thename was chosen deliberately to highlight Macalester’s Scottish roots and to maintain the themeof the Highlander, which previously occupied the space.
The expanded space is intended to provide students with a wider range of uses for the loungeincluding as a place for student organizations to hold events. There is a raised stage with lightingand a sound system designed for student performances. The week of the ribbon cutting wasmarked by events each day and long term programming is planned including continuing thetradition of Study Sundays and showing popular television events like Monday Night Footballthrough the projector above the stage.