- Sep 26 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Sep 26 Inventory: New Paintings by Lisa Bergh and Andrew Nordin Opening Reception
- Oct 5 Chopin Society presents pianist Lukáš Vondráček
- Oct 9 International Roundtable
- Oct 10 Family Fest Weekend
- Oct 10 International Roundtable
- Oct 18 International Archaeology Day: "'Monuments Men (and Women):' Cultural Property in Conflict Today"
- Oct 23 Fall Break
- Oct 24 Fall Break
- Oct 29 Macalester New Music Series: Music from Copland House
Photographers: Emma Pulido '14, Edda Veelik '16
School resumed with a bang after a brief fall break. Halloween events were scheduled in several departments and pumpkin painting and a party included the whole campus in the Campus Center. Many speakers were on campus: we caught a glimpse of a public lecture by Professor Janis Grobbelaar, professor and chair of the Department of Sociology, University of Pretoria, South Africa, and Retired Colonel Dwight Raymond of the U.S. Army Peacekeeping and Stability Operations Institute spoke about UN Peacekeeping, humanitarian intervention, and protecting civilians in conflict zones. Little Scots, a mentoring program for girls in grades 2-6, included Mac athletes and their mentees on Saturday in the Leonard Center. The Cultural House hosted its 19th Annual Poetry Slam on Saturday night, and Belozer'e–an interactive performance of folk songs and dances–featured a fashion show of 19th century Russian peasant clothing and a demonstration of Russian musical instruments, cosponsored by Russian Studies and Music.