- Feb 27 Imaging Disaster: Tokyo and the Visual Culture of Japan's Great Earthquake of 1923
- Feb 27 Staged Reading: "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf"
- Feb 28 Staged Reading: "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf"
- Mar 6 Founders Day
- Mar 7 Macalester Orchestra Concerto Concert
- Mar 8 Chopin Society presents pianist Nelson Goerner
- Mar 31 Inaugural Lecture of Thomas Halverson, DeWitt Wallace Professor of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
- Apr 11 Macalester Concert Choir and Highland Camerata
- Apr 12 Chopin Society presents pianist Yevgeny Sudbin
- Apr 12 Wind Ensemble Concert
Choral Director McGaghie selected as an ACDA ICEP Conducting Fellow
December 11, 2013
CATEGORY: College Newswire
St. Paul, Minn. – Macalester Music Professor and Director of Choral Activities Michael McGaghie has been selected for the 2014 American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) International Conductors Exchange Program (ICEP). He is one of seven conductors chosen from a competitive nationwide application pool to spend two weeks in China conducting choirs in that country this summer.
In 2014, the program will coincide with the biannual ACDA division-level conferences: Eastern, Western, Central, Northwestern, Southwestern and North Central. One visiting Chinese choral conductor will be featured at each of these regional conferences. In turn, the China Chorus Association will host the Conducting Fellows chosen by ACDA. McGaghie will represent ACDA’s North Central Division.
“This exchange will be a remarkable opportunity,” said McGaghie. “I’m very grateful for this chance to forge new connections in China and to return with music to share with my Macalester students.”
The objectives of the ACDA International Conductors Exchange Program are: to create connections between potential leaders of the U.S. choral community and counterparts across the globe; to forge stronger relationships between the American Choral Directors Association and choral associations across the world; and to raise the visibility and leadership role of the American Choral Directors Association in the global choral community.
The ICEP program occurs in alternate years, most recently via an exchange with Cuba in 2012. Three other conductors who were unable to travel in 2012 are joining the 2014 cohort in China.
Macalester College, founded in 1874, is a national liberal arts college with a full-time enrollment of 2,011 students. Macalester is nationally recognized for its long-standing commitment to academic excellence, internationalism, multiculturalism, and civic engagement. Learn more at macalester.edu.