- Feb 3 Taste of Service
- Feb 3 Macalester New Music Series presents INTERSECTION: Jazz Meets Classical Song
- Feb 4 'Moving Beyond Minnesota Nice:' Engaging Diversity in the Classroom
- Feb 12 Mitau Lecture
- Feb 17 Black History Month Keynote: Dr. Joy DeGruy - "Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome"
- Feb 18 Mental Health Awareness Film & Speaker
- Feb 19 The Inaugural Lecture of James Dawes as DeWitt Wallace Professor of English
- Feb 19 Robert Blanchette on "Tombs, sunken ships and historic huts: studying ancient wood reveals secrets from the past"
- Feb 19 Chamber Music at Macalester: Brahms Clarinet Quintet with Osmo Vanska
- Feb 20 Macathon 2015
Choral Director McGaghie selected as an ACDA ICEP Conducting Fellow
December 11, 2013
CATEGORY: College News
St. Paul, Minn. – Macalester Music Professor and Director of Choral Activities Michael McGaghie has been selected for the 2014 American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) International Conductors Exchange Program (ICEP). He is one of seven conductors chosen from a competitive nationwide application pool to spend two weeks in China conducting choirs in that country this summer.
In 2014, the program will coincide with the biannual ACDA division-level conferences: Eastern, Western, Central, Northwestern, Southwestern and North Central. One visiting Chinese choral conductor will be featured at each of these regional conferences. In turn, the China Chorus Association will host the Conducting Fellows chosen by ACDA. McGaghie will represent ACDA’s North Central Division.
“This exchange will be a remarkable opportunity,” said McGaghie. “I’m very grateful for this chance to forge new connections in China and to return with music to share with my Macalester students.”
The objectives of the ACDA International Conductors Exchange Program are: to create connections between potential leaders of the U.S. choral community and counterparts across the globe; to forge stronger relationships between the American Choral Directors Association and choral associations across the world; and to raise the visibility and leadership role of the American Choral Directors Association in the global choral community.
The ICEP program occurs in alternate years, most recently via an exchange with Cuba in 2012. Three other conductors who were unable to travel in 2012 are joining the 2014 cohort in China.
Macalester College, founded in 1874, is a national liberal arts college with a full-time enrollment of 2,011 students. Macalester is nationally recognized for its long-standing commitment to academic excellence, internationalism, multiculturalism, and civic engagement. Learn more at macalester.edu.