- Apr 25 Spring Dance Concert
- Apr 25 Macalester Choirs: Bach Cantata #161 & Fauré Requiem
- Apr 27 Spring Dance Concert
- Apr 27 Macalester Chamber Ensembles Concert
- May 3 Macalester African Music Ensemble
- May 5 Naming Ceremony for the Joan Adams Mondale Hall of Studio Art
- May 6 Classes End
- May 7 HARAMBEE! A Celebration of Multicultural Life at Macalester
- May 11 Chopin Society presents pianist Richard Goode
- May 17 Baccalaureate and Commencement
St. Paul, Minn. - Collin Calvert '13 was recently awarded The Society for Urban, National and Transnational/Global Anthropology (SUNTA) national Undergraduate Paper Award for his senior capstone paper, "Apartheid Lives On: Policing Migrants in South Africa." SUNTA is a sub-section of the American Anthropological Association.
Calvert was recognized at the national meeting of the American Anthropological Association in Chicago in November.
The Anthropology major first worked on an ethnographic study of policing in the Twin Cities for his Ethnographic Interviewing course and subsequently expanded his topic to conduct original research during study abroad in Durban, South Africa. Anthropology Prof. Dianna Shandy was his research supervisor.
Calvert, who is from Lincoln, Neb., will receive a $150 cash award.
Macalester College, founded in 1874, is a national liberal arts college with a full-time enrollment of 2,011 students. Macalester is nationally recognized for its long-standing commitment to academic excellence, internationalism, multiculturalism, and civic engagement. Learn more at macalester.edu.