- Mar 31 Inaugural Lecture of Thomas Halverson, DeWitt Wallace Professor of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
- Apr 2 Discussion: Greece in Turmoil
- Apr 11 Macalester Concert Choir and Highland Camerata
- Apr 12 Chopin Society presents pianist Yevgeny Sudbin
- Apr 12 Wind Ensemble Concert
- Apr 14 Global Citizens Celebration
- Apr 17 Chamber Ensemble Concert
- Apr 19 Early Music Ensemble Concert
- Apr 24 Spring Dance Concert
- Apr 26 Pipe Band Concert
Governor Dayton Appoints Mac Professor to Council on MLK Jr. Holiday
December 10, 2013
CATEGORY: College Newswire
St. Paul, Minn. - Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton announced the appointment of Macalester Professor Duchess Harris to the Governor’s Council on the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday. Harris’ term is effective immediately and will extend through March 1, 2014. She replaces Cheryl Chatman.
“I look forward to serving Governor Dayton in my areas of expertise - civil rights history and law,” said Harris. She was a member of the Council of Black Minnesotans under Governor Jesse Ventura.
In 1998, Harris joined the faculty at Macalester College. She became the first chair of the American Studies Department in 2003 and was promoted to the rank of full professor last May. In 2011, she earned a Juris Doctorate from William Mitchell College of Law.
Macalester College, founded in 1874, is a national liberal arts college with a full-time enrollment of 2,011 students. Macalester is nationally recognized for its long-standing commitment to academic excellence, internationalism, multiculturalism, and civic engagement. Learn more at macalester.edu.