- Aug 28 New Student Orientation
- Aug 29 New Student Orientation
- Aug 30 New Student Orientation
- Aug 31 New Student Orientation
- Sep 1 New Student Orientation
- Sep 1 Orientation: MacReads Lecture for First Year Students
- Sep 2 Classes Begin
- Sep 4 Author Daniel Gilbert to Speak at Opening Convocation
- Sep 26 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Oct 9 International Roundtable
Ruxi Zhang '14 came to Macalester seeking a rigorous academic experience with small classes, close interaction with professors, and intensive writing and critical thinking challenges. What she found in four years at Macalester laid the foundation for her next step: graduate school in political science at Stanford University.
Zhang, who grew up in Beijing, attended high school in Canada to develop English fluency. She applied to liberal arts colleges because she wanted small class sizes—and the interaction with her professors proved invaluable, from one-on-one help in her Russian classes to advice on graduate school and career paths. That support, in and out of the classroom, has given her confidence and shaped her own future: Zhang would like to someday become a professor at a research university. Says the international studies and Russian studies double major: "I would love to teach."