- Oct 23 Fall Break
- Oct 24 Fall Break
- Oct 29 Macalester New Music Series: Music from Copland House
- Oct 31 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Nov 8 Opening Reception: Ni De Aqui Ni De Alla From Neither Here Nor There: New and Recent Work by Raoul Deal
- Nov 13 Greg Brick, on “The Rediscovery of French Saltpeter Caves in Minnesota”
- Nov 21 Highland Camerata and Concert Choir
- Nov 23 Chamber Ensemble Concert
- Nov 27 Thanksgiving Break
- Dec 5 Orchestra Concert
This year, the Macalester wind ensemble tackled a broad range of music, starting in the 21st century and going all the way back to the 16th century. Director and composer Shelley Hanson arranged some of the group's music, including a premiere of a piece that's more than 100 years old.
That kind of work makes for a unique musical opportunity for students in the ensemble, which is open to Mac students of all abilities. "There's this great repertoire of music for wind instruments that you don't really get exposed to in any classes or an orchestra," Samantha Horn '14 (Niceville, Fla.) says. "It's exciting to be able to play that music here."