- Sep 18 EnviroThursday - "Helping Forests Adapt to a Changing Climate"
- Sep 18 Visualities of Memory Symposium: Film "The Act of Killing"
- Sep 19 Visualities of Memory Symposium: Poster sessions and roundtable presentations/discussions
- Sep 26 Admissions Fall Sampler
- Sep 26 Inventory: New Paintings by Lisa Bergh and Andrew Nordin Opening Reception
- Oct 5 Chopin Society presents pianist Lukáš Vondráček
- Oct 9 International Roundtable
- Oct 10 Family Fest Weekend
- Oct 10 International Roundtable
- Oct 18 International Archaeology Day: "'Monuments Men (and Women):' Cultural Property in Conflict Today"
This year, the Macalester wind ensemble tackled a broad range of music, starting in the 21st century and going all the way back to the 16th century. Director and composer Shelley Hanson arranged some of the group's music, including a premiere of a piece that's more than 100 years old.
That kind of work makes for a unique musical opportunity for students in the ensemble, which is open to Mac students of all abilities. "There's this great repertoire of music for wind instruments that you don't really get exposed to in any classes or an orchestra," Samantha Horn '14 (Niceville, Fla.) says. "It's exciting to be able to play that music here."