- Mar 6 Pushball - A Macalester Tradition
- Mar 6 Founders Day
- Mar 7 Macalester Orchestra Concerto Concert
- Mar 8 Chopin Society presents pianist Nelson Goerner
- Mar 31 Inaugural Lecture of Thomas Halverson, DeWitt Wallace Professor of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
- Apr 11 Macalester Concert Choir and Highland Camerata
- Apr 12 Chopin Society presents pianist Yevgeny Sudbin
- Apr 12 Wind Ensemble Concert
- Apr 14 Global Citizens Celebration
- Apr 17 Chamber Ensemble Concert
This year, the Macalester wind ensemble tackled a broad range of music, starting in the 21st century and going all the way back to the 16th century. Director and composer Shelley Hanson arranged some of the group's music, including a premiere of a piece that's more than 100 years old.
That kind of work makes for a unique musical opportunity for students in the ensemble, which is open to Mac students of all abilities. "There's this great repertoire of music for wind instruments that you don't really get exposed to in any classes or an orchestra," Samantha Horn '14 (Niceville, Fla.) says. "It's exciting to be able to play that music here."