- New Student Orientation
- To Do List
- First-Year Student Registration
- Life at Mac
- Parents & Families
Campus Center 2nd Floor
Completed in 2008 the $45 million, 175,000 square-foot Leonard Center provides Macalester students with one of the top liberal arts athletics and wellness facilities in the country. Features of this state of the art facility include: a 9,800 square foot fitness center, a 10 lane natatorium, 200-meter indoor track, and 1200 seat performance gymnasium. The incorporation of the Health Services department, comfortable gathering areas, and a small juice bar make the Leonard Center a place for students to work out, play, relax, or have that sore throat checked out. For more information on the Leonard Center go to: macalester.edu/athletics
The varsity athletic teams are members of the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC) and the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA Division III). Varsity sports for men include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, swimming and diving, tennis and indoor and outdoor track. Varsity sports for women include basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, water polo and volleyball. For more information about Macalester’s varsity athletics program and for a listing of all upcoming home contests go to: macalester.edu/athletics
The Health and Wellness Center creates a healthy community by working with students to achieve physical, emotional, and social well-being while promoting the value of life-long learning. The Health and Wellness Center professionals recognize that physical activity, regular quality sleep, satisfying relationships, and eating right are important aspects of staying healthy at college. Our approach is to empower you to think holistically about connections among your health choices. Here is a partial list of activities we offer to help you incorporate a healthy lifestyle into your first-year experience:
- Wellness Wednesdays, an informal discussion on all things wellness, every Wednesday at noon in the Leonard Center Wellness Lounge. A light lunch is provided.
- Fitness activities including a Wellness 5K run/walk, and evening activity classes such as zumba, yoga, barre, and dance offered free to students.
- Noon time classes of pilates, yoga, bootcamp, and circuit training have a small registration fee.
- Healthy sexuality education including information on healthy relationships, consent, sexually transmitted infections, contraceptive options, and decisions about sexual activity. These programs are offered through our Sexy peer education group and through our Consent is Mac initiative.
- Alcohol and other drug education including Stop@Buzzed, online modules, personal assessments, and social media.
- Tobacco cessation products and access to an online quit coach.
- Full body massage – a co-pay is charged for this service
- Healthy sleep and stress management education integrated into first-year courses and through social media.
These wellness activities complement the counseling and medical services that are offered by the Health and Wellness Center. We look forward to seeing you this fall! For more information on Wellness at Macalester go to: macalester.edu/healthandwellness/healthpromotion
A variety of activity classes are offered through the department of physical education. These full semester classes meet over 14 weeks and upon successful completion students may earn one credit toward graduation. All activity classes are graded S/NC. For more information about the PE classes offered this fall in the Fall 2015 Class Schedule.
The Club Sports program at Macalester College is designed to provide opportunities for students to participate and compete in a variety of sport activities not offered on the varsity level at the college. A club sport is student initiated, organized and run by Macalester students who share a common interest in specific sports activity. These activities are competitive in nature and typically involve several practices a week and competitions against other college club teams. Club sports teams currently offered at Macalester include: M/W Crew, M/W Ice Hockey, M/W Nordic skiing, M/W Rugby, M/W Ultimate Frisbee, Men’s Water Polo and Women’s Lacrosse. For more information on club sports visit Club Sports.
Recreational activities and competitive sports are a valuable part of a liberal arts education. These physical activities are part of a life-long learning process and complement the academic and artistic knowledge gained at Macalester. The intramural program desires to provide activities of interest to the Macalester Community. The goal is for every individual to participate in an activity of his/her choosing in so far as facilities and equipment permits. Intramural activities are organized on a team and individual basis, as well as recreational and competitive levels, enabling all to participate. Ability is not a primary concern; all you need is desire. For more information on intramural activities at Macalester, go the “Recreation” tab on the Macalester Athletics web page.