- Oct 5 Sherman Alexie and Robert Hershon Poetry Reading
- Oct 7 International Roundtable Opening Plenary and Reception
- Oct 9 Family Fest 2015
- Oct 9 Collabortive Summer Research Poster Fair
- Oct 9 Petting Zoo
- Oct 9 Family Fest Sampler
- Oct 10 Family Fest 2015
- Oct 15 A Culture of Suspicion: Policing and Surveillance in Interwar French West Africa
- Oct 15 Surely the Stories Exist to be Told
- Oct 15 Vanessa Rousseau on “Looted Art and Archaeology: A Brief History and Discussion in honor of International Archaeology Day”
- Oct 15 Alley Garden and Native Garden Awards Celebration
- Oct 18 The Chopin Society presents pianist Lise de la Salle
- Oct 20 Macalester New Music Series: "Redemption Songs & Sonatas"
- Nov 3 Inaugural Lecture of Ruthanne Kurth-Schai as DeWitt Wallace Professor of Educational Studies
- Nov 6 From Civil Rights to Black Lives Matter: African American Political Leadership in the Age of Ferguson, Mass Incarceration, and Obama
- Nov 6 The Beginning (Again): New Paintings by Chris Willcox
- Nov 6 As You Like It
- Nov 19 World Philosophy Day - Harry Brighouse
- Dec 6 Early Music Ensemble: Johann, Johann, Johann...and Telemann
Office of Student Affairs
Weyerhaeuser Room 119
Macalester's Parent Council is comprised of the parents of current students in their sophomore, junior, and senior years at Macalester. Formed in 2006, the council serves a variety of roles, each with the common thread of fostering communication between Mac parents and an array of important constituencies.
It goes without saying that colleges must keep pace with the rapid changes inherent in our society today. Soliciting and listening to a wide array of ideas and opinions is a critical part of that effort and the Parent Council is one of the channels Macalester views as an important source of ideas and opinions from parents. It is an exciting time to witness the challenges shaping the ideas that move the college forward.
The Parent Council serves a number of purposes.
- We act as a sounding board for the administration on important issues facing students, teachers and administrators by providing a unique perspective from parents’ points of view.
- We support the admissions process in a number of ways. We talk to prospective parents and students about life and academics at Macalester. We also host receptions for new students and parents each summer.
- We act as ambassadors for Macalester by participating in regional and campus events for parents and students.
- We also encourage our members to support career networking and advice for students through the Macalester Parent Career Connections.
We have two formal meetings on campus each year, one in October and one typically in April. In addition to these formal meetings, we will occasionally reach out to address a specific issue or opportunity.
Please feel free to reach out to any members of the council if you have questions, concerns or ideas that you think affects life at Macalester.
Cynthia Chalker and Sandy Farber
(Ben, Class of 2016)
Co-Chairs, Macalester Parent Council