Strengthen our commitments to community and civic engagement as core elements of our academic program and commitment to service.
Work in progress
- Launching of Project Pericles through coordinated effort of Community Service Office and Center for Scholarship and Teaching
- Establishment of Project Pericles Governing Board
- Development of an Action Plan for making Macalester an engaged campus
- Launch of Quantitative Methods for Public Policy program
- Creation of Web site which highlights domestic and international off-campus study programs that help to foster civic leadership, critical thinking and global citizenship.
- Prepare an inventory of current curricular, co-curricular and institutional civic engagement efforts at Mac
- Develop a cluster of "public scholarship" and "community based research" courses across the curriculum
- Develop a web-based "civic engagement in the disciplines" package of resources to support curricular and other innovations at the department level
- Develop a civic engagement requirement in new American Studies Department
Next: Urban Opportunities
- Develop a program on global dimensions of civic engagement and leadership
- Implement an on-campus "Engaged Departments" institute to enhance civic engagement at the department level
- Develop a competitive "Periclean Fellowship Program" to encourage public scholarship and community based research
- Continue planning and fundraising for the Center for Public Scholarship and Civic Engagement