Chapel Building Hours
F - 8:30am-7pm
Sat-Sun by reservation only
The Weyerhaeuser Memorial Chapel opened its doors in 1969, a gift of the F.T. Weyerhaeuser family. The chapel serves as a worship space and hosts lectures, art and music events and other community functions. The chapel houses the Center for Religious and Spiritual Life (CRSL) in the lower level and a program space to support the vibrant religious and spiritual life offerings. The chaplain's offices, a mosque, and the CRSL offices are also located in the lower level. The chapel is served by Protestant, Jewish, and Catholic chaplains. All are welcome.
Heritage and Affiliation
Macalester was founded in 1874 as a Presbyterian-affiliated but nonsectarian college, making it inclusive by the standards of that day. The belief of early campus leaders was that the campus should be a place to foster spiritual growth among people of many religions and that belief is reflected in the variety of religious offerings at the college today.
Macalester College and the Presbyterian Church (USA), through the Synod of Lakes and Prairies, signed a covenant in 1983 that speaks of the historic relationship between the church and the college. During the 1960s as its student body became increasingly diverse, the college "broadened its relationship beyond the state of Minnesota and beyond the Presbyterian Church into the entire nation, the world, and the larger religious community."
A new Covenant, developed and ratified in 2004, reaffirms the creative and intentional relationship between the church and the college. The covenant establishes a framework for working together to address significant social and faith issues in ways that result in growth and benefit for the synod, the college, and the wider community.
Regular Worship Opportunities
- Vespers in the Protestant Tradition - Sundays at 8:30 pm in the Chapel.
- Roman Catholic Mass - Sundays at 4:30 pm in the Chapel.
- Sacred Stories - Tuesdays from 11:45 am-1 pm in the Center for Religious and Spiritual Life.
- Open Shabbat - Alternate Friday nights at the Kirk 8 lounge.
- Sitting @ Mac - Weekly Meditation and Dharma Practice, Tuesdays 4:45-5:45 pm and Fridays 4:45-6:15 pm in Weyerhaeuser Memorial Chapel.
- Muslim Prayer - The Mosque is available for worship 8:30 am-10 pm Monday-Thursday. The Chapel is open for Friday prayer, 11:30 am-1 pm. Additional access may be arranged through the Muslim Student Association.
- Navigating Questions of Faith - Monthly Lunch and Dinner Discussions
- Daily Meditation Space - Monday through Friday, 9:30 am-11:30 am in the Chapel.
Special Services / Worship Opportunities
- High Holiday Services
- Family Weekend Interfaith Service
- Christmas Candlelight Service
- Holy Week Services
- Easter Service
- Interfaith Baccalaureate Service
Reserving Weyerhaeuser Memorial Chapel
Macalester students/staff/faculty who wish to reserve the Chapel for an event should contact campus reservations at x6638.
Others who wish to reserve the Chapel for an event, please call 651-696-6472 or visit www.meetatmac.com.
The Chapel seats 350 and is available for rental for weddings and commitment ceremonies.