Campus Center 236
The Resident Assistant is a key part of the Residential Life team. Resident Assistants (RAs) are student staff members who live in a residence hall or specialty housing area. RAs are primarily responsible for helping to facilitate the formation of a genuine community among the residents of that hall or building and to serve as a live-in resource and representative of Residential Life. The RAs also are a crucial part of the implementation of the Community Learning Model, and RAs facilitate many aspects of this, including connecting with individual students, helping form and enforce community standards and expectations, and serving as a campus resource for students living in each area.
The Resident Assistant selection process happens each spring for the following academic year. Applications are available in December and due in early February. The interview process happens in mid- February. Candidates will know if they have been selected by the first week of March. Questions about the RA position or selection process can be directed to Coco Du, Associate Director of Residential Life, or Brett Gray, Residence Hall Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resident Assistant Position General Information
RA Selection Timeline:
- December 8th, 2014: Applications available online
- January 25th, 2015: Information session, 7PM, Turck Formal Lounge
- January 27th, 2015: Information session, noon, Turck Formal Lounge
- February 2nd, 2015: Applications due at 8AM
- February 12th and February 13th, 2015: Individual RA interviews
- February 14th, 2015: Group interview process
- Week of March 2nd, 2015: Decision letters sent to candidates
Complete application consists of:
- Submitting an online application form
- Submitting an interview scheduling form (link is available upon completion of application form)
- Emailing your resumé to email@example.com
- 2 recommendations (Residential Life staff will email recommendation forms to recommenders)
- NOTE: Recommenders will have until Monday, February 9th, 2015 to submit the recommendation form. All other application materials listed above (online application, interview scheduling form, and resumé) must be received by 8AM on Monday, February 2nd, 2015.
Application and Recommendation Form Submission (Required):
Residential Life is not accepting RA applications at this time.
RA Information Sessions:
This is an opportunity for Res Life to share more in-detail job requirements and expectations as well as the selection timeline. We also invite the CDC to provide guidance on your resume. Finally, this is also a great time to have any of your questions about the RA position or interview process answered.
Individual Interview (Required):
The individual interview serves as an opportunity for Residential Life staff and Campus Partners to gain a more individualized assessment of each RA candidate. Each candidate will have two 25-minute interviews. Each interview typically includes one professional staff member and one current Resident Assistant. Candidates are asked a variety of questions pertaining to the RA position, and candidates have the opportunity to ask questions they may have about the RA position or the selection process.
Group Interview Process (Required):
The group process involves a number of RA candidates meeting together with two or more observers and facilitators who lead each small group through three or four team activities. The process may take the form of group problem-solving sessions or discussion groups where each candidate's contributions and participation are noted. Other exercises include splitting the candidates into teams with a work-related task to complete. During these exercises the observers closely watch the candidates. Observers and facilitators may also ask questions of individual candidates.