651-696-6555 (24 hour)
651-696-6278 (business hours)
October is Fire Safety and Auto Care Month
Here are some items to check during the month
- Replace smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Test detectors monthly.
- Replace detectors that are 10 or more years old.
- Discuss with your family fire safety, your emergency escape and meeting place plan.
- You might even try a drill.
- Have your home heating system tested for proper operation and CO2 (carbon monoxide) at safe levels.
- Replace or clean (if cleanable) forced air furnace air filters.
- Visually check fire extinguisher pressure. Replace unit if pressure is low.
- Check the following website: firepreventionweek.org/
Auto safety checks
- Ready your vehicle for winter.
- Check all fluids, oil, coolant and windshield washer, replace as required.
- Check tire pressure when tires are cold, Inflate tires to the recommended pressure.
- Properly inflated tires will increase traction, fuel mileage, and will wear longer.
- Replace windshield wiper blades.
- Put a can of HEET in your fuel tank to remove water from the tank.
- Purchase a good window scraper/brush.
- Replace tires, belts and hoses as needed.
- Get an engine tune up.
- Check battery and clean terminals.
- Pack an emergency safety kit for the trunk.
Extra clothing, gloves, hat
Flashlight with new batteries
Kitty litter or ice bite for emergency traction
Prepare yourself for winter driving
- Start out a little earlier for your trip.
- Slow down.
- Leave extra space between you and the vehicle in front.
- Stay calm, watch for ice and slippery conditions.
Remember daylight savings ends on the last Sunday of October.
Life, health or safety threat: 911
Safety and Security Office
Emergency or to Report a Crime: 651-696-6555
Office : 651-696-6278
Office location: Music Building M002
Business hours: 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Security and SAFEwalk available 24/7
SAFEWalk Service: 651-696-6699