What is Sexual Harrassment? What is Sexual Assault? What to do if you're assaulted Sexual Assault Support Team Common reactions to sexual assault How to support a friend LBGT individuals and sexual assault Alcohol and sexual assault Study away and sexual violence Healthy sexuality Rape Myths
RECOVERY AND SUPPORT
The Sexual Assault Support Team are members of the faculty and staff who are trained to assist and support students who have experienced sexual intimidation, harassment or violence. Talking to a SAST member does not obligate you to file a report of any kind. Students can contact someone from the list below directly to discuss an experience they are struggling with whether it was from long ago or recent.
More details about the Sexual Assault Support Team role can be found here
Lisa Broek, Associate Director of Health and Wellness Center for Health Promotion
"Nurture your sense of what's possible, we cannot create what we cannot imagine." Lucille Clifton
• Educational Background: BA, Central College, Pella, IA double major in biology and sociology MA, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA education with health promotion emphasis
• Personal Interests: Eating at neighborhood restaurants, running outdoors around the city lakes, reading fiction, being active with my two sons ages 13 and 11 - downhill skiing, ice-skating, swimming at local lakes, picnics at local beaches, volunteer history tutor at Anthony Middle School, Minneapolis
•Professional Memberships: American College Health Association, Society of Public Health Educators - Minnesota chapter, American Cancer Society speaker's bureau
Mary Emanuelson, Assistant Director, Career Development Center
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope." --Barbara Kingsolver
• Educational Background: College of Saint Benedict, St. Joseph, MN, BA in Early Childhood Development and Family Studies; Saint Mary’s University, MA in Counseling and Psychological Services; Licensed Psychologist in State of MN.
• Personal Interests: Hiking/biking/swimming/lounging in northern MN; Being with my kids, even if most if the time is spent driving them to activities.
• Professional Memberships: National Career Development Association; American College Personnel Association,
Consuelo Gutierrez-Crosby, Student Leadership Coordinator, Civic Engagement Center
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon
• Educational Background: BA Macalester College International Studies/Sociology; MPP Humphrey Institute for Public Affairs Non-profit Management and Social Policy
• Interests: Playing with my two small children, Swimming, Tennis, Walking my two Siberian Huskies, Sewing, Cross Country Skiing, Cooking
• Professional Memberships: Professionals of Color Commission; Jean Lyle Children's Center Parent Board Campus Programming Committee; Bonner Foundation School Network; West Side Safe Neighborhood Council; Early Childhood Family Education
Robin Hart Ruthenbeck, Associate Director for Campus Programs
“Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world.” - Joel Barker
• Educational Background: Ed.D., Educational Policy and Administration (in progress) University of Minnesota; M.S., College Student Personnel Services, Miami University; B.Phil, Interdisciplinary Studies, Miami University
• Interests: Community Engagement, reading, beading
• Professional Affiliations: American College Personnel Association (ACPA), National Orientation Directors Association (NODA), National Association for Campus Activities (NACA), Association of College Unions International (ACUI)
Eily Marlow, Lilly Program Associate
“When I dare to be powerful - to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” Audre Lorde
• Educational Background: BA, Religious Studies and Communication Studies, Macalester College, Masters of Divinity, McCormick Theological College Beginning a Masters of Social Work
• Interests: My advocacy and community work has been in reproductive justice, HIV/AIDS, LGBT justice, addiction recovery and immigration.
• Professional Memberships: Presbyterian Minister Board Member, Westminster Counseling Center; Co-Moderator, That All May Freely Serve - A national faith-based LGBT advocacy organization; Board Member, Westminster Town Hall Forum
Sedric McClure, Multicultural Counselor, MAX Center
"If there is no struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass
• Educational Background: BA in Political Science from Southwest Minnesota State University
• Personal Interests: I like to read, follow politics, and play golf. I also like to spend quality time with my family and friends.
Karen Saxe, Professor in the Department of Mathematics, Statistics,
and Computer Science
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. "--George S. Patton
• Educational Background: BA, Bard College 1982 [math major, physics minor], PhD, University of Oregon 1988 [mathematics]
• Personal Interests: Travelling, biking, nordic skiing, reading, cooking (and eating), anything with my kids!
Demetrius Colvin, Department of Multicultural Life, Assistant Director Lealtad-Suzuki Center
"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee." -- Marian Wright Edelman
• Educational Background: MA in Counseling and Personnel Services from the University of Maryland, College Park, BA in Russian and International Studies, Case Western Reserve University
• Professional Affiliations: American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
• Personal Interests: Cooking, singing, laughing, gardening