Department of Health Interns
Ilana Budenosky and Ruth Percival worked with epidemiologists to help reduce injuries and fatalities in Minnesota.
A Fascination with Chemistry
A Beltmann Research Grant enabled Hoang Anh Phan to dig deep into the world of chemistry.
Cardiology Research at Johns Hopkins
Amin Sabet gained valuable experience working in the Johns Hopkins cardiology research lab of Mac alumnus Dr. Mark Anderson.
Seeking Better Solar Cells
Yifei Sun explored a new, more environmentally desirable solar cell material.
Cancer Immunology Research
Her first-year course at Mac introduced Jaclyn Kline to immunology. Her curiosity led her to a summer of research at Mass. General and Harvard.
Geometries of Molecules
Marla DeVault is researching atmospheric chemistry, supported by a Beckman Scholarship.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can do summer research?
- How do I find summer research opportunities?
- When should I begin looking for a research opportunity?
- Who should I talk to about finding a position? Who can help me find a position?
- What is included in an application for a summer research position?
- Who can help me with my resume and cover letter?
- Will I be paid if I am a student researcher?
- Will I get academic credit if I do summer research?
- I think I want to go to medical school. Should I do summer research?
- What happens at a poster session? Should I attend the Macalester poster session if I have not conducted summer research?
- How do I ask for a letter of recommendation?
- Are there funds available for students to travel to national academic meetings?
- Where can international students find off-campus research positions?
Things to Do
- Sept: Complete poster and print poster for poster session
- Oct: Attend the poster session on Oct and the talks by the distinguished alumni
Reflections from Alumni in Biomedicine
- Karla Ballman ’83, PhD
Weill Cornell Medical College
- Gautam Dantas ’00, PhD
Washington University School of Medicine
- Robert Desimone ’74, PhD
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Brooks Edwards ’78, MD
- Douglas Osmon ’82, MD
- Lisa Peterson ’81, PhD
University of Minnesota
- Martha Sarpong ’97, PhD
- Myra (Kueker) Wick ’86, MD, PhD