Chemistry Professor & Chair
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can do summer research?
- How do I find summer research opportunities?
- When should I begin looking for a research opportunity?
- Who should I talk to about finding a position? Who can help me find a position?
- What is included in an application for a summer research position?
- Who can help me with my resume and cover letter?
- Will I be paid if I am a student researcher?
- Will I get academic credit if I do summer research?
- I think I want to go to medical school. Should I do summer research?
- What happens at a poster session? Should I attend the Macalester poster session if I have not conducted summer research?
- How do I ask for a letter of recommendation?
- Are there funds available for students to travel to national academic meetings?
- Where can international students find off-campus research positions?
SRO Dates to Watch
- December: Check out the research descriptions included on the ESRA webpage. Talk to your advisor or other professors about summer research.
- January: Complete the RCR on-line training and apply for research opportunities.
- February: Finish applications for summer positions before the application deadlines.
- April: Attend the workshop about maximizing your summer experience.