Chemistry Professor & Chair
Electronic Student Research Application
Students applying for on-campus summer research positions in Math and the Sciences for summer 2014 will use the Electronic Student Research Application (ESRA) process. The steps involved in the electronic application include:
- Review faculty descriptions
- Talk with faculty about their research
- Submit an application, and continue talking with faculty. You may apply to as many as four (4) professors' labs
The ESRA Process
The electronic application process:
- Streamlines the application process for students and faculty
- Provides a systematic way for students to know if faculty members are doing research and the requirements/skill sets needed to work in faculty members’ labs
- Raises student awareness of research opportunities earlier in their college careers
- Provides students with one site where they can explore opportunities and submit applications
Before Applying For A Summer Research Position at Macalester
There are three steps to complete BEFORE you apply for summer research opportunities at Macalester for summer 2014. Do not submit your application until you have completed the following steps:
- Read about faculty research to learn more about all the research done on campus. Select up to four faculty members with whom you would like to work. It is always a good idea to talk with the faculty members to learn more about their research and whether it would be a good fit for you based on your coursework to date, experience and goals.
- Understand how research on campus is funded
Depending on the lab and a faculty member's funding, you may need to complete additional steps or applications.
- Complete and submit your application. NOTE: Students will be able to submit their applications beginning on Jan 7th. Check back then for the link to the ESRA portal. The actual application consists of your resume, your college transcript, and a cover letter that is individualized to the faculty member with whom you hope to work. Label the documents in your application as <coverletteryourlastname>, or resumeyourlastname. For example, coverletterJones or resumeJones. Either pdf or doc format is fine.The following are resources that can help you with:
Keep the following dates in mind as you make decisions about summer research.
- Nov 30: Begin to review faculty descriptions
- Dec-Feb: Talk with faculty about their research
- Jan 7: First day to submit applications, continue talking with faculty
- Feb 7: Last day to submit applications for some faculty
Some faculty will have an application deadline later than Feb 8th.
The following may help you succeed in obtaining a summer research position.
- Decide what you would like to accomplish during the summer
- Review the descriptions of faculty research and take note of eligibility requirements
- Talk with the faculty member about his/her research and demonstrate your interest
- Talk with your academic adviser about opportunities you are exploring
- Remember to also explore and apply to opportunities off campus
Most importantly, apply to multiple programs. Although there are many positions available for student research, they are competitive. It is best to complete applications for several opportunities both on and off-campus.
Ready To Apply
Once you have read about faculty research projects, understand how research is funded at Macalester and what additional steps may be required of you, and how to apply using this system, you are ready to submit your application! You may submit your application beginning on January 7th, 2014.
Final note: It is important to understand that this process is designed to streamline applications and allow faculty members to be aware of who is interested in doing research with them. Submitting the electronic application does not guarantee with whom you will work or even that there will be a position or funding for you next summer. Completing and submitting the application is the first step but you should also talk with faculty members, your advisor and apply to many opportunities both on and off campus.