77 Macalester Street, Suite 102
An eligible educational institution that receives qualified tuition and related expenses on student's behalf must furnish Form 1098-T to students. 1098-Ts are used to determine your eligibility for claiming the Education Tax Credits on your Federal Income Tax returns.
1098-T form for tax year 2014
You may retrieve your 1098-T electronically. Important information to know about this year’s 1098T can be found below:
If you are eligible to receive a 1098-T, you can retrieve one electronically now by following these directions:
- Log in to 1600grand using your Macalester username and password.
- Click on the Student Life tab.
- Look for the My Student Account channel in the upper right corner.
- Click on the View/Pay My Bill link.
- Click on Mac Account Suite.
- Review the consent form and make your choice.
- Access to eBill statements and 1098-T statements are available options.
- Click on View to the right of the 1098-T option.
Authorized User Access:
Students may authorize parents or other persons to access their 1098-T form. The student must intentionally grant access to the authorized user. Once granted, the authorized user may view the 1098-T form by going to:
Paper copies of 1098-T forms are only mailed to students that are not currently enrolled, have graduated, or have not opted in to receive the electronic copy as their official copy. They will be mailed on or before January 31st. All forms are mailed to the student's permanent address on file with Macalester College.
1098-T Forms Prior To and Including Tax Year 2011
To retrieve your 1098-T electronically:
- Launch a web browser and go to http://tra.vangent.com
Note: Internet Explorer 9 users may need to use “Compatibility View”
- Click the First Time Students Button.
- Enter your full First and Last names and the last 5 digits of your Social Security Number.
- Click Submit.
- If records are present for you, you will be instructed to create an account. Follow the instructions on the website to create a free account and retrieve your 1098-T. If records are not found for you or you have difficulty creating account, use the “Help” link in the left menu.
- Remember, by acknowledging that you are receiving this form electronically, a hard copy for will not be mailed to you if you retrieve it before the vendor's print date. However, you can go to the website as often as needed to retrieve a copy.
Who do I contact if I have questions about:
- Accessing the electronic form:
Vangent TRA Services
- Questions about your form information:
Student Accounts Office
Who do I call for help in figuring out if I am eligible?
Macalester College is not qualified to determine if a student qualifies for either the Hope Scholarship or the Lifetime Learning Credit. Students and/or parents should contact the IRS, your tax advisor or other financial advisor for assistance.
Why does the 1098-T Form not list what amounts I've paid?
Form 1098-T reports the qualified tuition and related expenses billed to you by the college during the calendar year. Please contact the IRS, your tax advisor or other financial advisor for assistance if you are interested in exploring your opportunities for claiming educational tax credit for qualified tuition or related expenses actually paid during the calendar year.
THIS INFORMATION MUST NOT BE CONSTRUED AS TAX ADVICE.