IRS form 1098-T: Tuition Payments Statement
An eligible educational institution that receives qualified tuition
and related expenses on student's behalf must furnish Form 1098-T to students. 1098-Ts are used to determine your eligibility for claiming the Education Tax Credits on your Federal Income Tax returns.
How do I access or receive the 1098T form for tax year 2012?
You may retrieve your 1098-T electronically. Macalester College has implemented a new process for tax year 2012 to provide an electronic copy of your 1098-T. Important information to know about this year’s 1098T:
If you are eligible to receive a 1098-T, you can retrieve one electronically now by following these directions:
Paper copies of 1098-T forms will be mailed on or before January 31st and will reach you sometime after that date. All forms are mailed to the student's permanent address on file with Macalester.
1098-T Forms Prior To and Including Tax Year 2011:
To retrieve your 1098-T electronically:
- Launch a web browser and go to http://tra.vangent.com
Note: Internet Explorer 9 users may need to use “Compatibility View”
- Click the “First Time Students” Button.
- Enter your full First and Last names and the last 5 digits of your Social Security Number.
- Click Submit.
- If records are present for you, you will be instructed to create an account. Follow the instructions on the website to create a free account and retrieve your 1098-T. If records are not found for you or you have difficulty creating account, use the “Help” link in the left menu.
- Remember, by acknowledging that you are receiving this form electronically, a hard copy for will not be mailed to you if you retrieve it before the vendor's print date. However, you can go to the website as often as needed to retrieve a copy.
Who do I contact if I have questions about:
Who do I call for help in figuring out if I am eligible?
Macalester College is not qualified to determine if a student qualifies
for either the Hope Scholarship or the Lifetime Learning Credit.
Students and/or parents should contact the IRS,
your tax advisor or other financial advisor for assistance.
Why does the 1098-T Form not list what amounts I've paid?
Form 1098-T reports the qualified tuition and related expenses billed
to you by the College during the calendar year. Please contact the IRS, your tax advisor or other financial advisor for assistance if you are interested in exploring your oppotunities for claiming educational tax credit for qualified
tuition or related expenses actually paid during the calendar year.
THIS INFORMATION MUST NOT BE CONSTRUED AS TAX ADVICE.