When Macalester College adopted its Sustainability Plan in 2009, it made official its commitment to being a leader in the implementation of sustainable collegiate practices. By eliminating the sale and provision of bottled water on campus, Macalester is demonstrating its focus on sustainability by promoting a healthy environment, social justice and a strong economy.
The elimination of plain, individual container bottled water on campus includes:
- The sale of bottled water in the Highlander Store, Grille and Scotties;
- The sale of bottled water by Catering and at athletic concessions;
- The inclusion in meal pack-outs for groups or individuals;
- The sale of bottled water in all vending machines;
- The purchase of individual container bottled water with institutional funds.