Fire Alarm Procedures
(Students residing on-campus should also see Residence Hall Policies - Fire Safety)
If a fire is seen or smoke is present, sound the alarm and call the fire department at 911, then call Campus Security at 651-696-6555. Do not attempt to extinguish the fire. If a fire alarm sounds, all residents of the hall must leave the building via the nearest exit. Before leaving, residents should follow these steps:
1. Feel the door before opening it to determine if it is hot. If so, do not open the door. Place a wet towel at the bottom of the door to keep out the smoke.
2. Hang a sheet out the window to attract the attention of fire fighters.
3. If the door is not hot, open it slowly. If there is excessive heat or smoke in the hallway, return to the room and close door.
4. Before leaving the room, put on shoes and a coat, close all windows, turn on the lights and shut the door.
5. Exit by way of the nearest useable stairway or door. Do not linger.
6. Once outside, go to your designated meeting place (map located within each building). Stay approximately 50 feet from the building.
7. Never use the elevator when evacuating a building.
8. Do not reenter the building unless instructed by safety personnel.