Balancing Access and Quality
Macalester’s commitment to access is an essential part of its mission and history, and we carefully craft our financial aid philosophy to connect to our values:
- Macalester is one of only 70 colleges nationwide that meets the full demonstrated financial need for every admitted student, according to U.S. News and World Report.
- Ninety-five percent of international students receive financial aid.
- Financial aid is structured to encourage students to study away by allowing them to use their financial aid for study abroad programs.
- Seven out of every 10 students receive financial aid, each package averaging $35,580 in 2011-12.
- Across the national education landscape, our student body is one of the most economically diverse among any national liberal arts college in the country.
During the last decade, as the cost of college has become a greater concern, we’ve sharpened our focus on balancing access and quality. During the historic Step Forward campaign, the response from donors was unprecedented. Alumni, parents, and friends signaled their belief in a Macalester education by raising $38 million for scholarships and creating new opportunities to meet the needs of an evolving curriculum. But we can’t stop there. This is the time to make sure quality and access continue in tandem. Your support makes an impact for Macalester students now—and far into the future.