Sustainability Strategic Planning UPDATE - October 2009
During the 2008-2009 academic year, the Sustainability Office engaged the Macalester community in thinking strategically about sustainability in order to create a definition and vision of sustainability for the College. The guiding question was, “How does sustainability advance the core mission of Macalester College?” See an overview of the strategic planning timeline.
Participation & Leadership
A planning team composed of the Sustainability Advisory Committee as well as other staff, students and faculty developed the strategic directions and priority areas. Nearly 400 members of the Macalester community provided input to the process.
Strategic Planning Outcomes:
Working Definition of Sustainability:
Sustainability is the continuous effort to meet the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs by working toward a healthy environment, social justice, and strong economy. At Macalester, sustainability is infused throughout our core values of academic excellence, internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Practical Vision for Sustainability at Macalester:
- Better Operating Practices
- Dedicated Resources/Funding for Priorities
- Behavior Change Through Communication
- Integrated Planning Process
- Individual and Institutional Support
- Integrate Sustainability into Learning
Identified Obstacles to Making this Vision a Reality:
- Uncertain macro-environment
- Ingrained incomplete information
- Fragmented Planning and Complex Communication
- Competing Multiple, Unclear Priorities
- Risk Aversion
- Individuals are Not Motivated
Strategic Directions that move Macalester past the Obstacles and to the Vision
- Demonstrating Leadership by Encouraging Innovation and Action to Foster Sustainable Communities.
- Realizing Our Mission by Designing, Implementing, and Improving our Processes
- Educating Campus Community to Build a Coalition
Priority Milestones for 2010:
- Sustainability in Education Fund
- Faculty Sustainability Summit/Seminar
- Sustainable Project Fund
- Sustainability Assessment and Action Plans for Operations and Student Life
- Annual Sustainability Report
- Alumni, Trustee Boards, President Endorsed Sustainability Statement
- Transportation Plan and Policy Approved
- Regular Sustainability Newsletter
- Co-Curricular Sustainability Education Plan
The Sustainability Strategic Plan forms the backbone of the Sustainability Plan, adopted on September 15, 2009. During the summer of 2009, task forces of the Sustainability Advisory Committee reviewed the strategic plan outcomes as well as the recommendations for the Institutional Climate Action Plan developed by the Environmental Studies Senior Seminar in the spring of 2009. The result is a comprehensive sustainability plan that also meets the requirements of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment. The commitment requires both a timetable and target dates for climate neutrality, and an action plan for incorporating sustainability and climate change into the curriculum.
Questions? Please contact Suzanne Savanick Hansen, 651-696-6010, email@example.com.