Math/CS Home Page
for Public Policy
Articles of General Interest by David Bressoud
- Launchings from the CUPM Curriculum
Guide, a column on the recommendations contained in this guide.
- Establishing the Quantitative Thinking
Program at Macalester. To Appear in Numeracy.
- The Art of Counting (draft of 7/24/06)
- The Changing Face of Calculus,
- First Semester Calculus as a High School Course, Word
- First- and Second-Semester Calculus as College Courses, Word
- Calculus Before Newton and Leibniz
- I: ibn al-Haytham and volumes of revolution, pdf
- II: Archimedes, areas and volumes, pdf file
- III: sums of powers formulas, pdf file
- Quantitative Methods for Public Policy, to appear in Current Practices
in Quantitative Literacy, MAA Notes, Word document
- Adventures in the Amusement Park: AB2/BC2 from the 2002 AP Calculus
Exam, pdf file.
- Parallel Developments in Philosophy and Mathematics in India, COMAP:
- pdf file; postscript file, LaTeX file
solutions: pdf file; postscript file, LaTeX file
- What's Been Happening to Undergraduate Mathematics to appear in the
Journal of Chemical Education. Also available as a pdf file.
- Was Calculus Invented in India? College Math Journal.
- Computer-generated proofs of mathematical theorems, Encylcopedia
of Physcial Science and Technology. available as an pdf
- How the Alternating Sign Matrix conjecture Was Solved, Notices of
the American Mathematical Society, Vol: 46, 1999, Pages: 637--646. TeX
document and PostScript files for figures 1-4 and figures 5-6.
- A View from Olin-Rice, Macalester 's Colloquoy, Special Core Values
Edition, 1999, Pages: 1--2.
- Review of Classroom Assessment Techniques, to appear in the Teaching
and Learning Undergraduate Mathematics newsletter of the British Mathematics
- Personal Thoughts on Mature Teaching, appendix in How to teach mathematics:
a personal perspective, second edition, by Steven G. Krantz, American
Mathematical Society, Providence, 1998.
- Review of Serge Lang's Undergraduate Analysis, The Mathematical Intelligencer,
20: 76--77, 1998.
- The One-minute paper, Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics,
MAA Notes # 49, Editors: B. Gold, S. Keith, W. Marion, Mathematical
Association of America, Washington DC, 1999, Pages: 87-88.
- Review of Vectors and Tensors in Engineering and Physics by D. A.
Danielson, The UMAP Journal.
- Review of Differential Forms: A complement to vector calculus by
Steven Weintraub, The UMAP Journal, 18: 183-183, 1997
- with Joel Clemmer: Issues in scholarly communication III: The looming
responsibilities, Colloquoy (Maclaester College), vol 13, no. 3, 1996.
- with Joel Clemmer: Issues in scholarly communication II: The looming
opportunities, Colloquoy (Macalester College) , vol 13, no. 2 (March
- with Joel Clemmer: Issues in scholarly communication I: The looming
crisis,'' Colloquoy (Macalester College) , vol 12, no. 4 (Fall 1995):
- Assessing Student Performance,' pages 66--73
in Calculus, The Dynamics of Change, A. Wayne Roberts, ed., The Mathematical
Association of America, Notes Number 39, Washington, DC, 1996
- . Mathematics and the Liberal Arts, Macalester Today, November, 1995.
- Review of How to teach mathematics: a personal perspective by Steven
G. Krantz, UME Trends, 7:4--5, 1995.
- Review of A Brief on Tensor Analysis, The UMAP Journal, 16, 1995
- Student attitudes
in first-semester calculus, Focus, 14:6--7, 1994.
- Review of In search of E. T. Bell by Constance Reid and L'aurore
des dieux by Jacques Dixmier, The Mathematical Intelligencer, 16:72--74,
- Review of The Problems of Mathematics by Ian Stewart, The Mathematical
Intelligencer, 15:71--73, 1993.
- Why do we teach calculus? The American Math. Monthly, 99:615--17,
- How should we introduce integration?, The College Mathematics J.,
- Has Science made God irrelevant? Plumbline, 4--6, Dec. 1991.
- ``Most ferocious math problem is tamed.'' Research Penn State. 11