Freshwater Mussel LinksA great place to start if you're interested in researching freshwater mussels is the book:
Strayer, D. L. 2008. Freshwater mussel ecology: a multifactor approach to distribution and abundance. University of California Press. 204 pp.
There are hundred's of websites devoted to freshwater mussels. We've
included a few links to some of the ones we visit most often. Many of
these have great sources of additional links to other websites.
- Freshwater Mussels: A Neglected and Declining Aquatic Resource - JD Williams and RJ Neves (A pdf)
- Field Guide to Freshwater Mussels of the Midwest - Kevin Cummings, Ill. Natural History Survey.
- Freshwater Mussels of the Upper Mississippi River System - US Fish & Wildlife Service
- Mussels of Minnesota - Minnesota DNR
- The MUSSEL Project Website - Classification of the freswater mussels - Kevin Cummings & Dan Graf
- Freshwater Mussel (Unionida) Genera of the World - Kevin Cummings, Ill. Natural History Survey.
- Freshwater Mollusk Conservation Society Links Page - Keving Cummings, IL Natural History Survey.
- Freshwater Mussel Gallery - Tom Watters, Ohio State
- Unio Gallery - Chris Barnhardt, Southwest Missouri State Univ.
- Fish Host Database - Tom Watters, Ohio State Univ.
- The Pearl Button Industry - 4th Grade Class Project - Jan Hartsock, Instructor - Washington Elementary School - Muscatine Iowa
Mollusk Bibliography- Kevin Cummings - IL Natural History
- Zebra mussel information - US government link