A Workshop at USCOTS 2009
Tuesday June 23 though Thursday June 25, 2009
Schedule for the Workshop
Lunches will be provided.
- Tuesday June 23: 10am - 5pm
- Statistical modeling and the ASA GAISE recommendations
- Starting R. What students need to know.
- The organization of data.
- The language of modeling.
- Model formulas and coefficients.
- Correlation in a modeling framework.
- Total and partial relationships.
- Wednesday June 24: 9am - 5pm
- R for instructors. What you need to know to teach effectively
- The geometry of statistics.
- Describing randomness.
- Resampling, bootstrapping, and simulation.
- Confidence from models.
- Hypothesis testing on whole models.
- Thursday June 25: 9am - 3pm (in time for the opening of USCOTS)
- Data collection and modeling projects.
- Hypothesis testing on parts of models.
- Modeling Yes/No variables.
- Causation and experimentation.
- Experimental design and simulation.
Location and Logistics
- "Teaching Statistical Modeling" will be held at the same location as
USCOTS. See the USCOTS web
site for information on transportation and lodging.
- Registration: Through the Cause Web Site
- Finances: The workshop is free and the registration fee for USCOTS will be waived for those attending the workshop. Lunches during the three workshop days will be provided. Limited support to help cover additional housing costs may be available: contact Danny Kaplan (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Materials provided: A free copy of the "Introduction to Statistical Modeling" book, exercises, and course-specific software making use of the free R package.
- Bring a laptop. Instructions for installing the free software and files via the Internet will be sent out before the workshop.
Contact: Danny Kaplan