Above: A collection of Theatre and Dance production posters
Recent Press Releases
Our Department in the News
- APA Releases Draft of “Good Practices Guide” for Comment | Daily Nous | July 19, 2017
The American Philosophical Association (APA) has published this 77-page document, the “Good Practices Guide.” Philosophy professor Diane Michelfelder was one of four people on the task force that put it together.
- New opera 'Mother King' tells the story of MLK's mom | Star Tribune | July 19, 2017
Poet Vanessa Fuentes '97 and composer Dameun Strange '95 team up for an original opera that takes Martin Luther King’s mother, activist Alberta Williams King, as its subject. “Mother King” is the first production of the newly formed company Opera Works 52, and tells the story of King, a prominent member of Ebenezer Baptist Church, where her husband and son were both pastors.
- Artists Participating in 2017 International Residency Exchange | The Soap Factory | July 2017
Two of the Minnesota artists participating in the first Soap Factory International Residency Exchange are: Lela Pierce '08, and Larsen Husby '12. These artists will be traveling to Kultivera in Tranas, Sweden, to participate in their residency program for the month of August.
- Tell Me Something I Don't Know - Episode 23 - Three Sheets to the Wind | Renbud Radio | July 2017
The program originated from Minneapolis and one of the guests was American Studies professor Duchess Harris who spoke about her grandmother, Miriam Harris, an early computer at NASA. Harris' book, "Hidden Human Computers, The Black Women of NASA," tells the story of African American women computers whose calculations helped John Glenn orbit the earth, yet at home they worked at a segregated NASA.
- Macalester Professor to Teach Neuroscience as Resident Director of Japan Study | ACM Newsletter | July 7, 2017
How do we think, move, see, and learn? What role do our brains play in these activities? Such questions are at the heart of the teaching and research of Macalester psychology professor Eric Wiertelak, a behavioral neuroscientist. This fall, the topics and classroom examples in Wiertelak's courses will take on a distinctively Japanese flavor, when he spends the 2017-18 academic year in Tokyo as resident director of the Japan Study program.
- From Michonne to Marvel Comics: Danai Gurira brings fierce loyalty to "Black Panther" | Entertainment Weekly | July 13, 2017
EW interviewed Danai Gurira '01 on the set of the movie about bringing life to Panther’s fictional African nation of Wakanda. ‘The Walking Dead’ star plays Okoye, the no-nonsense head of the all-female Dora Milaje.
- INTERVIEW: Venessa Fuentes and Dameun Strange on Mother King | Twin Cities Arts Reader | July10, 2017
Alberta Christine Williams King, the mother of Martin Luther King, Jr. and an important figure in her own right in the U.S. Civil Rights Movement, is the focus of Mother King, a new opera by Macalester alumni Venessa Fuentes '97 and Dameun Strange '95 that premieres in Minneapolis later this month.
- Review: 'Thousand Star Hotel: Poems,' by Bao Phi | Star Tribune | July 9, 2017
Bao Phi's knockout second collection is bitingly funny and heartbreaking. The poet graduated from Macalester in 1997.
- Friday Roundtable: What if community college were free? | MPR News | July 7, 2017
Although tuition prices continue to rise throughout most of the country, there are a handful of states doing something radically different: making tuition at community colleges free. Macalester College President Brian Rosenberg was one of the Roundtable guests. Other guests included Tim Wynes, president of Inver Hills Community College, and Antoinette Flores, senior policy analyst at the Center for American Progress.
- Brian Bull: As a journalist, I hope to spur reflection | Current, American University | July 5, 2017
Current is making the 50th anniversary of the Public Broadcasting Act by illuminating the experiences that inspired people to choose to work in public media. Brian Bull '91, reporter, KLCC-FM, Eugene, Ore., authored this piece.
As tracked by Macalester College at pinboard.in.