Alumni Board Nominations Now Open
Nominations for the 2019-2020 Macalester Alumni Board are now open. The board is composed of alumni and current students representing every generation, social identity, U.S. region, and some countries, and the process is competitive. You may nominate someone you know, or nominate yourself. The board meets at Macalester twice each academic year as well as regular conference calls to plan programs and activities focused on making real-time connections between alumni and the college.
If you have any questions regarding a nomination or the selection process, please contact:
Executive Director of Alumni Engagement
email@example.com or 651-695-6315.
Mission Statement of the Board
The Macalester Alumni Board serves to build and strengthen the Macalester alumni community by fostering meaningful relationships between alumni and the college, connecting with current students, helping the college achieve its strategic priorities and acting through its members as ambassadors of the college.
About the Board
The Macalester Alumni Board is a working board that is organized into small groups around specific issues. These groups set annual goals and plans that members work on throughout the year. The Board does not set policy or have fiduciary responsibilities; the Alumni Board’s role is to help connect alumni to the Macalester community and to meaningful volunteer opportunities with the College. Board members’ active participation in the work throughout the year is critical its success.
Key responsibilities of Board members include:
- In-person attendance at two, 2-day board meetings on campus every year. Section 7 of the Bylaws states “If any director misses three consecutive meetings their position on the Board will be declared vacant.”
- Promote and recruit volunteer opportunities with the College
- Function as an active ambassador for the College in their region.
- Host and/or attend Macalester events in their region
- Connect with regional steering committees as a resource
- Assist local chapter in recruiting volunteers
- Active membership in at least one working group of the board.
- Participate in volunteer efforts (e.g. MacMail, MacConnect, Activate Career Helper badge on MacDirect).
- Function as “ad hoc” member of milestone Reunion planning committees during reunion year.
- Assist staff and Nominations committee to identify other alumni as potential chapter leaders and organizers, and as candidates for awards, board seats and other leadership positions.
- Represent the alumni voice responding to current issues and policies and providing an honest critique of the school and strategies for improvement.
- Give to the Macalester Fund in a way that is meaningful to you.
- Consider participating as a class agent.
- Read and respond to communications from the Alumni Engagement office in a timely manner.