We can’t wait to properly celebrate everything everyone is doing together in-person when we can. Until then, from regional chapters to social media and even old fashioned pen pals, here are many ways to engage with your fellow classmates, meet new friends, and support one another in the alumni community.
A little bit of Mac wherever you are
Find connections to your local regional chapters and affinity groups. Show your Macalester pride and support by connecting together in conversations, on social media. Reach out to Mac friends and classmates through your local channels.
Engage in the lost art of snail mail by bringing a little joy to someone’s mailbox. Write a postcard or letter to one of your closest Mac pals, your first-year roommate, or another alumnus that you’ve connected with on MacDirect.
Pen Pal Matching
Want us to play matchmaker? Complete the form in the drop down below to share your interest/preferences and we’ll provide you with the name and contact info of another alum that’s requested a pen pal. Consider allowing alumni that would like to be matched with an alum they don’t know to submit a request to have staff pair them. Allow for requests to be paired with someone from their class, from a different class, someone in the same geographic area.
Pen Pal Prompts
- Share a suggestion for a book, movie, or other activity you’ve enjoyed
- Think about places you’d like to go when it’s safe to get together again
- Write about what you think current students are experiencing right now, and reflect on defining moments of your time at Mac.
- If you’re writing to somebody that holds a different experience than you (class year, geographic location, etc.), share some details about your past and present experiences and inquire about theirs
- Hype each other up for your next Mac Reunion
- Share a favorite quote or poem
- If you have access to a printer/copier, or have an original you’re willing to part with, consider sharing a photo or other keepsake from your time at Macalester
- Refer them to this website for ideas on how to further engage with the college and/or other alumni
- Just tell them that they’re in your thoughts 🙂