Anti-racism Initiatives at Macalester
The Macalester community’s priorities include actively advancing equity and inclusion on our campus.
Ongoing Equity and Anti-racism Initiatives
The Racial Justice Project Fund supports proposals from Macalester students, faculty, and staff that will help expand the college’s racial justice work. This effort is funded through annual gifts to the Macalester Fund’s Racial Equity Support designation and supports project requests of up to $5,000. Full details and how to apply.
Macalester is creating a new Vice President position to lead the college in the fostering of inclusive excellence in learning and teaching, institutional equity, and community flourishing. This new role will have responsibility for advancing our anti-racism and social justice goals, removing barriers for members of underrepresented groups, improving intercultural relations, and fostering a safe and welcoming campus climate. Learn more about ongoing equity and anti-racism initiatives.
Macalester is partnering with The Posse Foundation, an organization with a strong record of recruiting and supporting students from diverse backgrounds, and working with college and university partners to offer these students access to and support for an outstanding college experience. Macalester’s first posse will be made up of 10 talented students from the Twin Cities who will receive full tuition scholarships and enroll at Macalester in September of 2022.
Learn more about the Posse Foundation partnership.
Macalester is a founding member of Liberal Arts College Racial Equity Leadership Alliance (LACRELA), which recognizes the critical role liberal arts colleges play in addressing historical injustices affecting our students, faculty, staff, and our communities. Through LACRELA, Macalester will participate in monthly eConvening sessions on racial equity, an online resource portal for equity-related materials, and workplace climate surveys. Learn more about LACRELA.
Materials from eConvening Sessions (Faculty/Staff Only)
Other initiatives currently active on campus include:
- Associated Colleges of the Midwest (ACM) collaborative anti-racism initiative (including professional development, community of color cohorts, and racial equity data collection)
- Student programming including activism and anti-racist work
- Fundraising specifically focused on racial and equity initiatives including the Minnesota Opportunity Scholarship Fund and the Macalester Fund’s racial equity support designation
- International Roundtable on Facing Pandemics of Disease and Race: Radically Reimagining for Liberatory Futures
- Resources about anti-racist pedagogy and scholarship on race and racism