A number of departments/groups exist to work with and for student organizations. Please contact the resources below to help you with your planning or organizational needs.
Campus Activities & Operations Staff
Robert M. Hernandez
Reservations and Information Desk Manager, x6473
Operations Manager, x6004
CC 1st floor, x6638
MCSG – Macalester College Student Government
MCSG can be reached at email@example.com or x6485.
Staff Advisor: Associate Dean of Students
PB – Program Board
PB can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or x6485.
Other important staff to know when you are planning an event:
Bon Appetit Catering: x6313
Custodial: Kyle x6073
Media Services: x6378
The SORC – Student Organization Resource Center
The SORC, located on the second floor of the Campus Center, contains information, storage, workspace, art supplies.**Please maintain the aesthetic beauty of this space and clean up after yourselves!
Storage and Workspace large work tables and 36 lockable cubbies are all available to student organizations. Contact a Campus Programs staff person to obtain a lockable cubby.
Art Supplies including paint, banner paper, markers, and paintbrushes can be found in the workroom.
Macalester College has a variety of spaces available for on-campus event planning. These spaces range from intimate conference rooms, high-tech classrooms, elegant ballrooms, to first-class athletic facilities. For more information about available spaces, please utilize our online reservation request system EMS Web App to see specific room details, features, and availability. You can also use EMS Web App to make online reservation requests. For additional questions about spaces and availability, please contact Reservations.
In an effort to promote sustainability on campus and keep our facilities in top condition, we ask that groups be respectful of spaces that are used for events. Please be cognizant of other groups planning events by leaving your event space better than you found it, turning off all lights and equipment and removing all trash, recycling, and any other items brought by your group for the event.
There are spaces on campus that are not reserved through Reservations. Click here for a detailed list and contact information for spaces reserved by other departments on campus.
During Class Times & Finals | Registrar’s Office*:
- MWF 8am – 4:30pm
- MW 7 – 10pm
- TR 8am – 4:30 pm
Non-Class Times | Reservations Desk:
- Before 8am on MTWRF
- After 4:30pm on TRF
- Between 4:30 – 7pm & After 10pm MW
- All Day on Weekends
- All Day on Breaks (Fall Break, Semester Break, J-Term, Spring Break, Summer)
*When classes are in session, please contact the Registrar’s Office, 651-696-6200 or registrar @macalester.edu to reserve classroom space.
Some of the spaces available for event programming are considered multi-purpose spaces and do not have an existing standard set-up. Special set-up requests must be communicated to Reservations two weeks prior to the event date. Please note that not all set-ups can be accommodated due to size and set-up of room and available equipment. For more information regarding what types of set-ups can be done in various spaces, please consultthe EMS Web App or contact Reservations.
Labor charges for overtime custodial for facility set-ups may be charged depending on the type of set-up and time of event. Any labor charges are the responsibility of the group planning the event. To avoid these potential charges, please consider spaces that contain existing set-ups that will accommodate your event.
All outdoor events should have a suitable rain plan; back-up date, appropriate indoor location, or cancellation plan. Rain calls must be 24 hours prior to event start time to allow for ample set-up time. Please note the following policies that apply to outdoor events:
- Music: Groups must be approved to have amplified music at outdoor events. Amplified music cannot be played while classes or exams are taking place. Reservations Desk reserves the right to not allow amplified music if it will impact other events taking place in the vicinity. As per City of St. Paul Noise Ordinance, no amplified music may be played after 8:00pm. Any audio/visual requests for outdoor events should be made through Media Services.
- Set-up: In effort to keep equipment in good working condition, available equipment for outdoor events is limited to plastic folding chairs, plastic folding tables, and a small multipurpose stage. Facilities Services reserves the right to not set-up equipment that may become damaged by inclement weather.
- Must be completed for any on-campus event where alcohol is present
- Must be completed and submitted to 3 weeks prior to event date
- Alcohol Approval Request Form
- Failure to meet the deadlines will result in denial of the request for alcoholic beverages
- Dances & Large Concerts
- Events where Alcohol is present/sold
- Events featuring/including High Profile/Controversial Speakers or Topics/Issue
Final determination for Security Requirements determined by Director of Safety & Security & Reservations Manager.
Minimum Coverage = 4 Hours. Sponsoring Org is responsible for charges incurred for designated Security Officers.
Must be submitted to Reservations Desk 14 calendar days before the event
- All Student Orgs wishing to sponsor a fund-raising event must submit this form to the Office of Student Leadership & Engagement and/or his/her designee at least 14 calendar days in advance for approval.
- Student Orgs that wish to receive monetary donations or products from corporate sponsors will need additional approval from the Development Office.
- No alcoholic beverages may be served, possessed, or consumed at any fundraising activity
- No funds will be contributed to any outside agency or entity unless:
- The organization is able to provide proof of their status as a Non-Profit Organization AND the college has received a copy of their W-9 form
- The organization is able to accept fees in U.S. Dollars, via check, credit card, or wire transfer
- Fundraising Approval Form