Mac Stays Safer 2.0
Our Shared Community Commitment
Our individual and community health depends on our choices and actions. Our ability to stay safer is only as strong as our shared commitment to each other. We ask each member of our community—students, staff, and faculty—to be flexible and continue behaviors that support each other’s health and well-being. The elements of our community commitment reflect good public health practices. We each have a role to play in our culture of mutual care, accountability, and safety. Macalester College reaffirms its commitment to creating a community free of any form of bias, harassment, or discrimination.
As part of this community’s culture of mutual care and accountability, we all will:
- Secure a COVID-19 vaccine or complete the paperwork required for a medical or non-medical exemption. Employees should affirm their vaccination status using this form. Students should upload vaccine documentation using the medical portal maintained by the Hamre Center.
- Follow the college’s Well-Fitted Mask Policy.
- Stay home if ill or experiencing symptoms of a cold, flu, or COVID-19; and supervisors, professors, coaches, and peers will respect such decisions.
- Wash hands regularly throughout the day or use hand sanitizer when soap and water aren’t readily available
- Cover coughs and sneezes with sleeve or elbow
- Seek testing when experiencing COVID symptoms
- Follow guidelines to isolate, if receiving a positive COVID-19 test result,
- Follow guidance for quarantine, if considered a close contact of someone who tests positive or while awaiting test results
- Fully vaccinated individuals are not required to quarantine, but should have a COVID-19 test 3-5 days after last close contact (i.e. being within 6-feet for 15 minutes or more in a 24-hour period of someone who has had a positive COVID test)
- Unvaccinated individuals are required to quarantine for at least 7 days and should be tested for COVID-19 on day 5 after last close contact.
- Participate in public health measures such as contact tracing regardless of vaccination status
- Until fully vaccinated against COVID-19:
- Always wear a well-fitted mask that covers both nose and mouth when indoors, and outdoors when six-foot physical distancing cannot be maintained 
- Maintain a physical distance of six feet with people outside of my pod 
- Participate in required asymptomatic testing
This is a living document. As additional information or public health guidance emerges, we will update this document and share the changes broadly. We all are expected to adopt any new practices.
If you have questions about this document, email email@example.com.
 Please see the Well-Fitted Mask policy for more information.
 A “pod” is a small group (i.e. people that a person lives with and/or regularly occupies space within six feet of each other and only each other, including intimate or sexual contact).