Departing Employee Resources
Below you will find helpful information for your departure from Macalester. If your question has not been addressed below contact HR@macalester.edu.
- Your final paycheck will be paid according to the payroll calendar’s pay date for the pay period that includes your last day worked.
- Once available, your W2 will be mailed to the home address we have on file. If you move after your departure from Macalester, please email HR@macalester.edu with your new address to ensure your W2 gets to the appropriate place.
Benefit-eligible employees accruing vacation time and that have been employed by the College for more than six months will receive a vacation pay out on their final paycheck. You may be paid out up to one year’s worth of accruals prorated by your FTE.
- Benefit elections for benefit-eligible employees will continue through the end of the month in which your employment at the College ends.
- Benefit-eligible employees will receive information from our COBRA administrator, HR Simplified, about continuing your health, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage at your own cost for up to eighteen months. This will be mailed to your home address by HR Simplified.
- If you have a dependent care or medical flexible spending account (FSA), your last contribution will occur on your final paycheck. You must submit claims for reimbursement within 90 days after your date of termination.
- If you are currently enrolled in the Legal Plan and wish to continue coverage at your own cost, follow the Portability Procedure to continue coverage after separation with Macalester.
You will receive a notice from TIAA and you must take action by contacting TIAA prior to the deadline listed in your individual notice and let them know which option you would like to take.
- If your account balance is less than $1,000, it can be rolled over into another existing qualified retirement account. However, if you do not respond by the due date, your account balance will be cashed out (minus all applicable taxes) and mailed to your address on file.
- If your account balance is greater than $1000 but less than $5,000, it will be rolled over to an IRA with Millennium Trust Service if no action is taken prior to the due date. You are also able to roll these funds into another existing qualified retirement account, if you choose.
- If your account balance is more than $5,000, it may remain “as is” until you are ready to move it someplace else.
Please follow the instructions received from TIAA following your departure by the deadlines listed to ensure your retirement funds are handled as you prefer.
You will no longer have access to your Macalester email account after your last day of employment. If there is a business related reason as to why this would need to be extended please contact Employment Services. Extensions for “personal reasons” will not be approved. Please take steps to secure your personal files, contacts, communications, etc. prior to your last day.
ITS has a very helpful guide for both the departing employee and the supervisor. Please follow this link to review the Technology Checklist: Exiting Employee & Supervisor
- You are required to work on your last day of employment.
- All vacation time over the vacation pay out limit, all sick time, and unused floating holiday will be forfeited at the time of separation from the College.
- You will no longer have access to 1600grand after your last day with Macalester. If needed, print out any paystubs or W2’s before your last day.
- Fees for any items not returned may be withheld from your final paycheck.
- Make sure that all keys, P-cards, books, materials, and technology are returned to the appropriate departments.
- If interested, exit interviews with Employment Services can be set up by emailing HR@macalester.edu.
Visit the Manager’s Toolkit for Departing Employees webpage for Supervisor responsibilities.