Employment Services is committed to developing a staff workforce that maintains the high standards of Macalester College. Below please find a list of resources to assist you in successfully leading your staff.
Staff Performance Reviews
Staff performance reviews are conducted each spring with a deadline for completion of May 1 each year. A review is considered complete when it has been delivered and discussed with the employee, signed by both the employee and supervisor, and turned into Employment Services. Performance reviews are not required for any staff members hired or promoted to a new position on or after December 1st of the previous year. However, supervisors are encouraged to conduct performance reviews with all employees they supervise. For additional information on staff performance review, please contact Employment Services at 651-696-6280 or email@example.com.
If you are having trouble opening a job description sent to you as an email attachment, use the appropriate instructions below:
- Hover the curser over the attachment in the email body.
- Click the Download icon (a downward-facing arrow).
- The document may open automatically. If it does not, a bar should pop up across the bottom of the screen showing that the document downloaded. Hover the curser over the document name in that bar so that a dropdown arrow for a menu bar appears.
- Double-click on the dropdown arrow and select “Show in Folder”
- This will open the folder into which the document has been saved. Click on the appropriate file name.
- If you still receive an error, you will need to close out of the file, update your free version of Adobe, and try again beginning at Step 1.
- Update your Adobe Reader to Acrobat Reader DC (there is no fee for this program).
- Return to the email, and hover the curser over the attachment.
- Click the Download icon (a downward-facing arrow), and the file will go to your Downloads folder.
- Go into Finder and select the Downloads folder.
- Right click on the new file, select ‘Open With’, and choose Adobe Acrobat Reader.
For questions or help with managing employee performance please contact Employment Services at 651-696-6280.
Annual Staff Compensation
Annual staff compensation adjustments take place and are effective the beginning of each fiscal year (June 1st). Any staff members hired or promoted to a new position on or after December 1st are not eligible for the annual June 1st increase immediately following the date of hire or promotion. Exceptions to this rule must be approved in advance by the Director of Employment Services.
Employment Services Resources
Our goal is to provide resources that will help you be a successful leader. We would love to help you with any specific questions you may have. Please check out the Who Should I Contact page for additional information on our areas of expertise.