December 14, 2017
Prep work has started for the demolition of the old building this week with the fence going up, some trees removed, etc. The structure will be enclosed by May or June of 2018 and open for use in January of 2019. This is an expedited schedule due to the timing of the school semesters.
We are excited for the long-term impact of the project for the college and hope that the community will continue to join us for theater and dance performances in the new space.
The short-term impacts will include tight parking on campus and some construction noise. Normal work hours for the site will be 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. There may be some extended or weekend hours added, but most will be inside the building after it has been enclosed.
There will be times when trucks hauling wide loads of steel or large deliveries may arrive on campus early in the morning due to traffic challenges. The construction team will work to minimize any noise impacts on the site.
The parking lot south of the theater will be closed for staging during the construction and push roughly 60 cars into other existing Macalester parking lots. It is likely that this will overflow into the adjoining neighborhood streets as well, especially on days that we have special events on campus. We have taken steps to help lessen this impact on the neighborhood, including:
- Off-site parking in the Gloria Dei lot at Highland Parkway and Snelling. This will be used for construction workers and open to faculty and staff including a shuttle to and from campus with back-up by the A Line.
- Reminded the Macalester community of the location off all existing parking lots available.
- Mapping appropriate parking areas (in front of Macalester owned property) and discouraging filling up neighborhood streets in front of neighboring houses.
- Providing a 50% subsidy on public transportation passes for faculty, staff, and students.
- Designated more carpool spaces in the parking lots.
- More parking enforcement of campus parking facilities.
- Additional incentives for staff and faculty to use alternate commutes on event days.
Macalester Street will remain open during construction as will all other Macalester parking lots.
We appreciate your patience and encourage you to contact us with any further questions or concerns.
Director of the High Winds Fund
Campus Security 651-696-6555