Through the Federal Direct PLUS Loan program, parents may borrow an annual amount up to the cost of attendance minus financial aid.
- Parents must be creditworthy, but there are no income requirements placed on eligibility.
- Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required in order to apply for the PLUS Loan.
- Loans are payable 30 days after the final disbursement of the loan and payable over 10 years.
- Deferment of repayment is available upon request as long as the student is enrolled at least half-time.
- Loan fee:
2017-2018 loans with first disbursement 7/1/2017 - 9/30/2017 2017-2018 loans with first disbursement 10/1/2017 and later 4.276% TBA
- The 2017-2018 Direct PLUS loan interest rate is fixed at 7%.
To Apply: Complete a 2017-2018 Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request and Credit Authorization Form OR the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application available at studentloans.gov.
Your Federal PLUS Loan proceeds will be delivered electronically to the student's Macalester account. Generally, loan proceeds arrive at Macalester a few days before the beginning of each semester.