Applying to the Program
All students are welcome to apply for MMUF, though applications are particularly encouraged from African-Americans, Latinos and Latinas, Native Americans, and other underrepresented minorities.
The application is submitted online and consists of two essays, an unofficial transcript, and two faculty letters of recommendation. Please plan to complete your essays before you start your application. You can read more about the essays in the Application Information sheet.
To submit a Letter of Recommendation, the faculty member should write the letter, then submit it as a .pdf document in the Letter of Recommendation Google Form.
The Google Form Application is now available. Applications are due by 5:00pm, Friday, March 13.
The following criteria are weighed in selecting participants for MMUF:
- Strong academic promise/standing (minimum 3.0 GPA)
- Interest in pursuing Ph.D. and an academic career in a Mellon approved field of study
- Demonstrated commitment to the goals of MMUF
- Race and ethnicity, in relation to their underrepresentation in designated fields of study
- Potential to serve as a mentor and teacher for a wide variety of students
- Availability for, and commitment to, full and enthusiastic participation in all aspects of the MMUF program, including attendance at conferences and meetings
- Status as a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or DACA student