The Macalester Internship Program and Career Development Center use Handshake, our new fast and powerful career services platform.
Employers can use Handshake to post jobs and internships, identify qualified candidates, monitor applications, manage on-campus recruiting activities, and register for Macalester career fairs.
We actively promote internships to Macalester students by distributing postings to the most relevant departments, who in turn send them on to their majors and minors.
Post An Internship
Once you create an account on Handshake, you may enter multiple postings, or go online at any time to update and repost your opportunity in anticipation of the term you wish to host an intern. Students tend to focus only on new/current positions and Handshake archives past postings.
Consider updating/submitting position information at the following times:
- August for the Fall term (starts first week of September)
- October/November for the January term
- October through January for the Spring term (starts last week of January
- February/March for Summer
As you create the internship posting, it is important for you to also consider the following:
- The posting outlines the intern’s primary work/role, responsibilities, qualifications, reporting relationship, hours required to do the job, etc. Some mundane work may be part of the picture, but we require that internships be substantial, progressive, and challenging.
- By posting an internship opportunity, you agree to comply with all federal and state regulations regarding Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity and to follow the National Association of Colleges and Employers Principals of Professional Practice.
- If this internship is unpaid, it is vital that you comply with Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) guidelines, the most salient of which demand that the intern does not displace a regular employee, the organization does not rely upon the unpaid intern to perform its primary functions (i.e. work can proceed normally without the intern), and the focus of the internship is for the educational benefit of the student.
- Learn about the benefits of offering an internship for academic credit
Please contact Kerri Roesner (Internship Program Coordinator) with questions at email@example.com or 651-696-6277.