Poster Printing Guidelines
Need a poster printed? Follow the steps below:
- Download one of these PowerPoint templates, our recommended template is: 42″x42″ Also available are 42″x56″ or 36″x42″ templates. The poster printers are 42″ wide, therefore one of the dimensions of any poster must be 42″ or less. Also, poster boards in Olin-Rice are designed for 42″x42″ posters. If you need a different size contact email@example.com
- Design your poster, following the style guidelines posted below. Please preview your poster on your computer at 100% magnification before submitting, to ensure that your images are clear and not blurry or pixelated when viewed at full size.
- Name your poster file such that it starts with the professor’s last name, then the department name, followed by the student name. Example: Kuwata_Chemistry_Jane_Doe
- Save your poster as one of the accepted file types: ppt, pptx, pdf, tiff.
- Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your poster file
- Due date and time. Example: “I need to pick up this poster by noon on March 31.”
- An email from a faculty member approving your poster.
- In order to ensure your poster is ready for pickup at the time you specified, all of the above information must be received at least 3 business days in advance. Example: if you need to pick your poster up by 1:00 PM Friday, it must be sent by 1:00 PM Tuesday. For groups of 5 or more, please notify us one month in advance of when the posters will be submitted.
- Use easily readable font sizes, bigger is better. People will be reading your poster from 5 feet away or more.
- Sample text sizes:
Large headings: 60–54pt.
Smaller headings: 40–50pt.
Paragraph text: 32–36pt.
Photo captions: 25–28pt.
- Don’t forget about text in diagrams and graphs!
- Don’t put text over images.
- Avoid large blocks of dark color.
- The contrast on the computer screen is better than on the poster, so err on the side of visibility. (i.e. don’t put black text on a bright blue background).
- Poster boards in Olin-Rice are designed for 42×42 posters, if yours exceeds this size it will overhang the board and could cause space concerns.
Science posters for on-campus sessions must abide by the following rule:
No color backgrounds or other excessive use of color.
|Just the right amount of color||Too much color|
|DO use a white background.||DON’T use a color background.|
|A white background uses less ink to print.||A colorful background uses much more ink to print than a white background.|
Faculty: Are you taking students to a conference or holding a classroom poster session?
Providing the information below will help make the process as seamless as possible for you and your students, as we can prepare in advance.
- When are you leaving or hosting the session?
- How many posters would you estimate will be printed?
- How will students be submitting the posters to you? Via Email, Moodle submission, Google Drive, other.