Computers & Software
Most students bring their own computers to campus, however Macalester does not require it. Review this information and recommendations before purchasing a new computer.
- Education discount program through Apple at www.apple.com/us-hed/shop
- Apple Certified Refurbished computers at www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals
- Education discount program though Dell at www.dell.com/macalester. Macalester College Dell Member ID: US30732314.
- The Highlander offers software at https://www.bkstr.com/macalesterstore/shop/technology/software
- International students with a U.S. credit card billing address can order from Apple and Dell web stores.
- Macalester College does not provide repair services for personally owned equipment.
Baseline Technology Recommendations
- System memory: 4 GB required minimum; 8 GB or more strongly recommended.
- Computer Operating systems: 4 years old or newer.
- Wireless: Able to connect to wifi.
- Backup: Use an external hard drive or Google Backup & Sync | Backup Information
- Know serial number of valuables: Start using this serial number tracker template (gsheet) to record serial numbers of all your valuables.
- Don’t bring: Wireless printers, routers or other networking devices. ITS routinely blocks these devices from the Macalester network.