Computers & Software
Purchasing a laptop?
We strongly recommend you bring your own laptop to campus. Review this information and recommendations before purchasing a new computer.
- Education discount program through Apple at www.apple.com/us-hed/shop
- Apple Certified Refurbished computers at www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals
- Education discount program though Dell at www.dell.com/macalester. Macalester College Dell Member ID: US30732314.
- International students with a U.S. credit card billing address can order from Apple and Dell web stores.
- Macalester College does not provide repair services for personally owned equipment.
Baseline Technology Recommendations
- Form factor: Laptop strongly recommend. Desktop computers, Chromebooks, and tablets are fine to bring, but may not meet your academic needs.
- System memory: 8GB required minimum; 16GB or more recommended. If you anticipate a computationally intensive course of study maximizing your memory will be incredibly helpful.
- Computer operating systems: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or newer; Windows 10 version 1909 or newer.
- Storage: 128GB minimum, 256GB or more recommended. Strongly recommend a solid-state hard drive (SSD).