Baseline Technology Recommendations
Macalester does not require students to have their own computers. If you bring one, your computer should meet or exceed the following technology recommendations to fully access Macalester’s information resources.
- System memory: 4 GB required minimum; 8 GB or more strongly recommended.
- Computer Operating systems: Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks minimum, newer preferred | Windows 7 minimum, newer preferred.
- Wireless: 802.11g or 802.11n wireless and WPA2 authentication
- Backup strategy: Use an external hard drive, thumb drive, Google Drive, Macalester Network Drive, or cloud storage | Backup Information
- Laptop cable lock: Use a cable lock to prevent opportunistic theft.
- Know serial number of valuables: Start using this serial number tracker template (gsheet) to record serial numbers of all your valuables.
- Don’t bring: Wireless printers, routers or other networking devices. ITS routinely blocks these devices from the Macalester network.