Due to reduced capacity on campus as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, many in-person positions have been shifted to remote. To accommodate the ability for student employees to perform job duties, ITS has set up temporary remote access for student employees that may need access to systems containing sensitive data. This process provides the ability for students to do their jobs in a secure and safe manner in accord with the Mac Stays Safer community commitment.
This policy applies to student workers who may need to access systems containing sensitive data in order to perform their job duties remotely. This policy is only in effect during the COVID-19 pandemic and remote access will be revoked when campus returns to normal operation.
- This policy is only in force during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Work must be done on a Macalester managed endpoint.
- Data must remain on the Macalester managed endpoint.
- Students may VPN into campus using their own computer. Only the Macalester provided VPN client can be used.
- Once VPN is established, a Macalester approved secure remote connection will be used to connect to a Macalester managed endpoint.
- The Macalester managed endpoint will be configured so that a student worker can perform their job duties in a secure manner.
- The Macalester managed endpoint configuration can not be modified, altered, or circumvented unless approved in writing by ITS.
Any user found to have violated this policy will be subject to revocation of certain privileges or services, including but not limited to loss of computer access.