In developing our collections, our primary mission is to support the current curricular, teaching, and research information needs of our faculty and students. Our collections include print materials as well as digital collections. As a small liberal arts college library, we cannot own everything that is needed, but we have partnerships that allow us to expand access to resources through Interlibrary Loan, our membership in HathiTrust as well as the Center for Research Libraries.
For more information on our collections see our page on Collections Management and Policy. In addition, the library has adopted the policy: Collection Development Plan to Support Sustainable Collections, endorsed by the Library Advisory Committee. Visit the Library Representatives page to see a list of departmental faculty that advise on collection development.
Keep up-to-date with our collections – Quarterly Collections Newsletter
- Collections Newsletter, Winter 2019, Issue 6
- Collections Newsletter, Spring 2019, Issue 5
- Collections Newsletter, Winter (December 2018), Issue 4
- Collections Newsletter, Fall 2018, Issue 3
- Collections Newsletter, Summer 2018, Issue 2
- Collections Newsletter, Spring 2018
DeWitt Wallace Library is no longer accepting donations of printed books or journals. See Other Places that Take Books and Media
There are three exceptions to this policy:
- The College Archives welcomes materials that document the origins, developments, activities, achievements and people of the College.
- Donations of unique and rare materials will continue to be accepted and reviewed by our Archivist and Special Collections Librarian.
- The Library welcomes donations of new books authored by Macalester faculty, staff and alumni.
- We will package and send books coming from faculty and staff offices that also fit within the Better World Book donation guidelines. More library Better World Book information.