Laptop Borrowing in the Library
Laptops and Chromebooks are available for checkout at the service desk to Macalester students, faculty, and staff with valid Macalester ID only. For staff/faculty seeking to request a laptop, iPad, or Chromebook, please fill out this form. Please note the late fee and replacement fee policies below.
Staff or faculty may check out a laptop for a 3-day period. We have three types of laptops in our lending pool:
- Dell laptops (24hr student checkout): Check availability
- MacBook Pros (4hr, 24hr, 48hr, or 7 day student checkout): Check availability
- Chromebook (24hr student checkout): Check availability.
Loan Renewals and Extensions
Due to the high use of this resource, renewals and extensions can not be granted except in rare cases, dependent on availability and need.
Return Equipment to the Service Desk
All equipment must be returned directly to a student worker or staff member at the service desk. When returning any laptop or laptop-related equipment, do not return it via the outdoor bookdrop.
Late Fees and Replacement Fees
- For each 1-hour period, or portion thereof, that a laptop is returned beyond the due date/time there is a $2 fine (for the computer and/or the equipment).
- If there is missing or damaged equipment, there is a replacement charge of up to $1800 plus a processing fee of up to $200 for damage to or loss of the laptop computer or peripheral equipment.
Questions or Concerns?
Please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-696-6346