Download this handout (PDF)
Awareness Check: Where Does Your Time Go?
Estimate the number of hours you spend each week on the following activities. When you are finished, subtract your total hours from 168, the number of hours in a week. How much time is left? How can you use this time to reach your goals?
|Activity:||Hours per week:|
Now answer the following questions:
1. On what activity to you spend the least amount of time?
2. On what activity do you spend the most time?
3. Is the amount of time you spend studying producing the grades you want?
4. Overall, are you satisfied with the way you spend your time? Why or why not?
5. If you could make some changes, what would they be?
After completing the Awareness Check, you may find that you have some surplus time during the week. You might use this free time either for scheduling additional study hours as needed, for setting aside a block of regular consistent study time, or for completing a task or activity you did not think you had time to do. Schedules can make your life easier, not harder, because they help you organize your time.
Borrowed from Carol C. Kanar’s The Confident Student, 3rd ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1998.