The Community Chest is a pot of money that all students can access regardless of their affiliation with student orgs on campus. If you have any cool ideas for how student activity fee money should be spent, you can put in a request here and we’ll get back to you shortly.
Past Community Chest Funded Events
This program paired local girls with Macalester athletes in a mentoring program designed to empower females and give them positive role models. Little Scots is now a successful chartered student organizations.
People could write out struggles they’re having on campus and put them into this little box and this group would waterproof them and hang them up on this tree.
Winter Bike Storage
This storage program subsidized the cost to provide bike storage off-campus over the January Term.
($500 granted, $500 loaned)
Renter’s Rights Info Session
These info sessions were designed to inform juniors and seniors living off campus of their rights as renters.
Community Chest Bylaws
- The SSRC may continue reviewing Community Chest requests after the $5,000 has been allocated.
- Any requests that exceed the semesterly budget of the Community Chest must be approved by the FAC Chair and a majority vote in the SSRC.
- The SSRC shall notify the FAC Chair of the amount of all Community Chest allocations.
- The SSRC will make a recommendation on all Community Chest requests over $1000. The LB will vote on all SSRC recommendations.
- The SSRC can recommend funding the full request, a partial amount of the request, or no amount.
- The SSRC shall not allocate funds retroactively.
- Recommendations of the SSRC must come out of committee in order to be voted on by the Legislative Body of MCSG.
- Any requestor can appeal a decision made by the SSRC. Appeals can be made to the Legislative Body (meeting times can be found on the MCSG website), and require a simple majority for the SSRC decision to be overturned.
- The SSRC shall not consider requests made by student organizations.
- The SSRC shall not fund donations in-kind to a charity.
- The SSRC shall not directly fund students for work.
- The SSRC shall consider subsidizing food only when integral to the request.
- The SSRC shall consider subsidizing clothing only when necessary for the request.
- The SSRC shall consider subsidizing the cost for tickets and fees for frequently repeated events.