

MCSG Legislative Body Meeting

September 20, 2016 7:00 pm
Weyerhaeuser Boardroom

Attendees: Aarohi Narain, Andy Han, Cami Garcia-Flahaut, Carl Liu, Catriona Leckie, Chris Pieper, Cole Ware, Colin Casey, Collin Dobie, DeMethra Bradley, Denise Rodriguez, Dylan Smith, Henry Kellison, Jackson Ullmann, Jed Buchholz, Johannes Davies, Julia Makayova, Marco Hernandez, Matt O'Brien, Merrit Stüven, Michael Bohman, Natalie Luo, Olivia Doe, Omi Strait, Rachel Ladd, Remy Eisendrath, Salman Ahmed, Stacy Gerondelis, Suveer Daswani, Sydney Keiler, Taneeya Rele

[Introductions](#)

[Robert's Rules](#)

[Exec Meeting Update](#)

[Omnibus](#)

[Financial Affairs Committee \(FAC\)](#)

[Mac Weekly Allocation](#)

[TurboVote Allocation](#)

[Student Services and Relations Presentation](#)

[Student Organizations Committee \(SOC\)](#)

[Academic Affairs Committee \(AAC\)](#)

[Program Board](#)

[General Updates](#)

Introductions

Cami: Welcome to the first full MCSG meeting.

Merrit: Cami's the parliamentarian and LB liaison.

Name, pronouns, position on mcsgr

Robert's Rules

Merrit: Robert's Rules are our parliamentary procedure- rules we use to govern how we speak. More casual than other student govts, or so we've heard. Use to make it easier to vote, everyone gets to speak, etc. cami's job to govern how we use.

Cami: There's a cheat sheet in your folder. Put your placard on its side to talk. Points we make. Point of privilege: cold, didn't hear. Order.

Merrit: privilege = issues with environment. Point of order- used if rules broken or used incorrectly and you want to fix it. We don't use that one much, we're casual. For example, you might use it if a vote is done wrong. Point of information- request/interject relevant info at that moment. Not to say your point. Used most- motions. Bring bills to table, stop discussion on bill

(table for later), move to adjourn meeting, vote (move to question). Example- move to approve, parliamentarian asks for second. You need a second to get it on table and discuss. Once done, move to question, ask for objections. Vote- in favor, opposed, or abstain. You raise your placard for your choice. Might abstain if your org's budget is on table etc. Questions?

Sydney: I know it's new for a lot of people. Don't let it stop you from talking, it's not a big deal. Getting out what you want to say is more important.

Merrit: We'll all use them wrong, figure it out, and get the work we need to do done.

Exec Meeting Update

Merrit: The execs (committee chairs and myself) meet once a week with DeMethra and Cami to talk about MCSG and plan the meetings. We do updates so you know what we talk about. We talked about the omnibus, which we'll discuss in detail later, and the retreat. The retreat is this Friday to Saturday; we're going to Camp Friendship. You'll get an email with details. We're leaving at 5 on Friday, meet here around 4:45. If you indicated you need a sleeping bag we're working on it; if you realize now you need one, let Matt know. We'll get back to Mac on Saturday between 3 and 4. During the retreat, we'll be planning for the year in class cohorts, committees, and as a full body. Program Board will be there too. It's our time to get to know each other. Questions?

Omnibus

Cami: We're doing an omnibus bill intro.

Merrit: Just introducing. Not making a motion until next week. The omnibus is different from most MCSG bills- the full bylaws are in this doc. Most bills are in bill format. Bill is just a few lines and we approve full doc. Background: omnibus happens at the start of each academic year and it's done to iron out inaccuracies and find what we need to fix. Last year's was a lot longer than normal; there were lots of necessary revisions and updates, so it's pretty small this year. Just a few changes to discuss. We'll go through the comments the execs agreed on and then go to changes you added. It's to get us on the same page and have time for comments on changes. You'll have a week to look at it and comment; then we'll have a larger discussion next week about changes. First change- added 3 issue based officers last year, logistical addition. LB liaison.

Colin: We voted Cami liaison last week; she was in a committee. Committees are decided before the year begins; we plan and organize around committees as cohesive units. We think that removing the liaison would be too disruptive to cohesion.

Merrit: We're trying to keep the position in the spirit it was created in. It connects the LB to the exec board, cabinet seems like a less good way for the liaison to spend time. They lose the connection to LB and there are bylaw issues with removing them from committee- numbers for committees; the liaison comes from a different committee each year, which affects the functioning ability. This makes more sense for position and is the same amount of work.

Remy: I hope you get a chance to read through it. Another change- remove “liaison to cabinet” in first part of description for consistency.

Merrit: We’re looking for small inconsistencies like that. Any thoughts, pitch in. LB liaison- new name for Speaker of Body. Second issue- elections and taking office. Something we were talking about- current language doesn’t fit with what’s done. Execs are elected in February or April in spring and take the position at last meeting, not meeting after election. Our goal is to clarify- we should be able to build MCSG from bylaws/transition docs/etc.

Remy: Next change- office hours change made due to reflections from previous chairs. No need for five execs with 5 hours weekly- a total 25 hours in MCSG office. Official office hours are substantive, no guarantee who you need will be there. Most are by appointment anyways. This is a feedback based change.

Sydney: It’s not in here, but so you know, we have spaced out office hours. This is not cutting down accessibility/availability.

Merrit: Matt and Stacy have 5 office hours each a week; there’s lots of people in the office. Sustainability officer was the 3rd work study position, now it’s the Media officer. Next comment- Secretary/SSRC collaborative update for Daily Piper. This hasn’t been standard in recent history, execs felt it was too specific for bylaws, doesn’t allow year to year flexibility. Want to communicate more effectively in ways that work from year to year. Might add something for future. Julia does outreach/media, she can find out what’s effective. Election code. Last year, we restructured elections. We had 3- PB/FAC, execs, class reps. Election fatigue; consolidated- execs together earlier, then all reps. We have officers too now- were elected with reps last year but we decided it makes more sense to put them with execs. Some people on MCSG ran for officer positions and then didn’t get them and weren’t on MCSG at all. It gives people a chance to run for class rep if they don’t get officer. Spend time reflecting and discuss again next week. Other comments- grammatical. Your comments. Consider during discussion- we’re not talking about person in position, we’re talking about how MCSG operates as body and can be most sustainable going forward. Be sure to be respectful to the person in position.

Marco: Based on the Chief of Staff responsibilities that I see, it’s all work we could easily give to the Media/Outreach officer and Secretary. It saves money. A lot of publicizing to the Daily Piper: Media/Outreach. Agenda/emails: Secretary can do.

Sydney: Chief of Staff and other staff positions are originally work-study. Saving money isn’t money coming from MCSG. Students are here, not in another work-study position. I like creating more positions- it means more people are involved in MCSG. This is a way someone else has a role and is hearing our convos and then can tell people what we’re doing. Every person we add means more people know what we’re doing.

Colin: All of us as class reps have the privilege of being able to volunteer time. To echo Sydney- we need people involved. These positions subsidize involvement and for good for people who want leadership positions- some work can be transferred to paid staff members. It makes us economically accessible.

Merrit: I'll add that the Media officer is new. It used to be sustainability but that work was separate from office work. Media/Outreach adds a third student worker on logistics. The reason we added it is because it was because we needed. Feedback- Alina (last year's Secretary) and Colin (last year's Chief of Staff) were doing a lot and didn't have time to do everything people wanted. Sometimes we have lulls but also high periods; staff members are needed and valuable. Jackson: From the perspective of trying to get stuff out to the student body. Direct involvement with getting stuff out; having a voice outside room is imperative. Experience from high school- few people, what we couldn't get done in free time wasn't done at all. More dedicated to that- best odds of success.

Matt: To echo and build. Julia's position is new; it feels rash if we dump half a full workload on her in addition to her figuring out her position. Could technically split to give to other people and ask them to do it. Problem from last year- they weren't slacking, they just don't have time. The more specialized people can be, the better work gets done. The job is more than emails/agenda/what's in bylaws. It's an extra person who can do things and help coordinate.

Merrit: I'm hearing a consensus, but you can submit an amendment next week during bill. Next comment?

Marco: Inspired by CA legislature. Before voting, post what you're voting on on website for 72 hours for access. Trying to make MCSG more transparent. People coming in don't know what's happening or what's on the agenda. Get people to know what's happening when, inform public of what we're doing.

Colin: Obstacle. FAC meets on Monday, only 24 hours prior to meeting, and they regularly bring additional allocations. Would have to delay each a week, additional allocations would be less efficient for students who need it. Student perspective- might be seen as another layer of bureaucracy.

Sydney: We meet when we do so we can vote on tuesday. Moving that would make it hard to avoid meeting on weekends, which hasn't been great in the past.

Merrit: Point of info. Direct response is a longer version of point of info. Should be brief, say that's what you're doing before you speak.

Matt: I do the agenda weekly and send it out 24 hours before the LB meeting. Put in Daily Piper for day of LB meeting. That's available but I agree with general idea of transparency. I send it to Julia so we can communicate and make it more available so people know what's going on.

Marco: Additional allocations and FAC- there can be exceptions, it's not definite. Will make sure to have something with amendment I'll bring up next week.

Collin: The goal of accessibility and transparency is good; we should work on it. We shouldn't just add to bylaws just to add things. I don't think it would have an effect on accessibility or meeting attendance. Major things are discussed one week and voted on the next- people who pay attention to those would come the week after discussion to see vote. Time already there for major issues.

Henry: 72 hours prior to MCSG meeting is Saturday evening, not lots of traffic on MCSG site.

Merrit: No other comments on Marco's point? More general comments about omnibus today?

Remy: Before retreat, reading omnibus will be helpful for talking about broader themes- strategic plan, where we're going with MCSG. Campus committees, etc.: familiarize yourself with it for the retreat.

Merrit: Read bylaws and legislation. Know rules so you can actively participate. Take next week to read bill, add comments, talk and respond in comments, and build consensus. Relatively small set of changes, can discuss next week. More formal bill intro and vote.

Financial Affairs Committee (FAC)

Mac Weekly

Sydney: Since this is the first meeting with first year reps, I'll explain what's going to happen. I'm chair of the FAC, which approves org budgets from student activity fee. We approved them last year for this year. During year, we have additional allocation money for orgs that want more, didn't get budget, etc. They can file for more money. For requests under \$500, the FAC (me + 4 MCSG reps + at large members- people who applied but aren't on MCSG) can approve amongst ourselves. For requests over \$500, we can only recommend an amount and you all approve (checks and balances). Don't have to approve rec- you can approve none, half, any portion; it's flexible here. Two tonight are over \$500. Mac Weekly. I explain why we recommended what we did, then guests answer questions. Motion- move to approve for \$1408.42. Seconded. FAC has fall and spring money. We cut 20% from all budgets last year to make sure we have enough for additional allocations. Mac Weekly came to the FAC meeting- they're 4 issues short. We took this to mean 2 in fall, 2 in spring. Divided request- we want to only give enough for fall issues. Recommend 2 issues, about \$1408.42.

Mac Weekly: \$1408.92 without web publishing. We don't have numbers for web publishing right now, but we think it's \$687 for the full year. Assuming funding we have is just for issues, no publishing costs.

Colin: Point of info. Figure in additional allocation or later?

Sydney: We recommend half of what they asked for.

Cami: \$1408.42 voted on. What's included?

Sydney: They asked for \$2816.85 for 2 issues in the fall and 2 in the spring. Can only fund for fall, so we recommend \$1408.42, which is half of total asked for.

Colin: Publishing costs and issues costs. Split total for fall; what funding will you be back for in the spring?

Mac Weekly: We're splitting the publishing costs by semester too.

Jed: Is the number of issues for year or per term?

Mac Weekly: For the full year

Carl: If there are no objections, I'll move to question.

Merrit: We'll vote on moving to question. Carl didn't technically move to question.

In favor 24 -- opposed 0 -- abstain 3

Cole: Explanation. Vote, objection to move to question. Have to vote on moving to question, so we vote on if we're voting.

Merrit: We just voted that we're going to vote. Usually if there's an objection we let them speak.

Cami: move to vote on question of funding.

25 in favor -- 0 opposed -- 2 abstain

Motion passes

Turbovote

Sydney: Usually if we went in order, we'd start with telling you about requests under \$500 that we approved. We approved the physics/astronomy org \$160 for catapult event. Handmade at Mac got \$450 for crafting supplies for semester meetings. Another additional allocation to vote on. Submitted by Colin and Johannes. Turbovote. Sometimes chair and committee disagree; I'll present whichever side got the most votes first. FAC believes we should fund full \$700- no matter how many use it, it's worth it if we're getting more to vote. Move to approve \$700 to student gov. Seconded. On table, ask questions.

Henry: What was the FAC vote?

Sydney: 7 for, 2 against.

Student Services and Relations Presentation

Colin: Short presentation on Turbovote. Overview. Turbotax but for voting. Simplifies for in and out of state students. Helps you register and vote. Variety of people on campus urging voting, especially lots from Mac Dems and other orgs. Many states, many rules; variety of people from many states. This puts in your info and figures out where you consider home, then gets you what you need to get registered and vote. Helps you if you have to mail stuff in- mails you what you need to fill out with pre-addressed envelope to mail back. Registration is important; half of students voted in midterms/2012. Turbovote gives you texts/emails 30 days before and on voting day. Tells you where your precinct is or when to send your ballot if you're out of state/voting online. Having reminders is one of best ways to get in touch with students. Based on an SSRC survey- people read the Daily Piper, so they probably like electronic communication.

Co-sponsored with Mac. No empirical data about disparity between eligible voting registered/not registered students; system compiles info about use and if it works. Cost, interest, how it works? Cost is \$1000; CEC pledged \$300 (has set budget), MCSG would pay \$700 and that's non-negotiable. Deadline to pay is this Friday. Met with Mac Dems, Adelante, CEC, and DFL reps- the orgs that are doing the footwork. They said what I've said- they know about voting in MN, not out of state, which is important. Useful for people doing work who want it. There's lot of out of state, would have data to influence decisions for future use. International students can use it- sign up, learn how it works, talk to people. Voter ID laws vary- this makes it compiled and centralized; it's user friendly and simple. Doesn't discourage people. My case to fund- student orgs want it, MCSG has little data about student voter data (would let us access info; lofty goals but MCSG is committed to our values, among those is civic engagement). Lowest price we could have gotten. Against- don't know if students want, kind of expensive. Voting rate

in president election 2012- 46%. 74.8% registration; 60% of those voted. Midterm: 28% voted; 61% registered, 48% voted. (of eligible voters).

Collin: Point of info. Data source?

Colin: From campus report. How does it compare? About average. How students vote? Half in person on election day; almost half absentee or mail- there's probably demand for out of state info.

Rachel: Thank you for info. Would this work for this election? Pennsylvania registration might be over, not sure. For local as well?

Colin: Yes for this election. Yes for local. Works from federal to local levels.

Johannes: Does subscription last to midterms? That's when numbers plummet. Would we need to renew every 2 years?

Colin: Doesn't last. Would need \$700 every two years.

Jackson: Clarify cycle? How often would we need to renew- every year, every 2 years, every 4?

Colin: Just this election cycle.

Jackson: If we go through with it, it does great things and we want to resubscribe/continue using, I'd worry about guarantee of same rate down the line. Would we get the same sort of money from the CEC?

Colin: Supportive of college mission- it would prove there's demand. Then it would be incumbent on the CEC to provide over time and not get funding from MCSG. This is unanticipated idea from CEC this year. Would have to negotiate with company and CEC. Down the road but good to keep in mind.

Merrit: Good to keep in mind. Remember that this vote is based on today, not future use. We can work with the department to get them to put in future budget.

Sydney: As the FAC chair, one of my important roles is to ensure some consistency. \$700; something else this amount, like the Hegemonocle. We should think about money we spend, how we're building community, and the value it adds to campus in community building among students. Most things we spend this much on have more dual value- they add value to students who make it and to students who consume it. Don't necessarily see it for Turbovote- it would be consumed but only it's adding to "get out the vote" efforts, not starting them, so I'm hesitant to approve. Lots of orgs have their plan in mind; I'm not how much they'll add this- it might be seen as something we're trying to give to them.

Andy: How is data handled and stored? It's personal information; I don't want it being sold. Can students unsubscribe and delete account? What's the reputation of company?

Colin: 260 higher ed institutes since 2010 in 40 states have used. Over 3 million used in past 6 years.

Marco: Direct response. If you register to vote through mail or anywhere, it's public data no matter what. People can still get your name/address; that's how campaigns call you.

Rachel: The CEC director Paul asked; he was concerned. Wouldn't fund unless he was sure they were fairly confidential; was satisfied that they were.

Dylan: Concerns about timetable. Today is Sep 20. Absentee ballot deadline close; how quickly and effectively we can distribute these resources for them to be valuable? Funding it sooner would make it more valuable (less time between getting/spreading to body)? How to tell people and get access? Maybe don't fund for this election; would be more useful to have it earlier. Allow more access/use, better investment.

Colin: Mac Dems will probably start campaigning soon and go for a while. If absentee registration is soon, this is electronic. If we approve tonight and get the money to the CEC tomorrow, it can be to students by Friday.

Dylan: The CEC distributes the info through email?

Colin: Yes, plus through student orgs.

Collin: Point of info. Mac Dems are starting tabling and will go through election. Most useful would be if we did have a plan to implement as fast as possible.

Johannes: Point of info. Mac Dems do or don't plan to include this software?

Colin: Darwin (Mac Dems) said they'd use. Would work like signing into Gmail does for MCSG election tabling.

Marco: I think we should put the \$ 700 in. Trial period, collect data and find out how useful/beneficial for student body. More important to get people out to vote, especially this election

Henry: The "get out the vote" efforts- election stuff caters to MN. I've voted out of state and in MN, little support for out of state students. Specific need would be filled; ballot by mail counted after election day.

Valentina: How can international students use?

Colin: Connects Mac with website. Use Mac ID and indicate unable to vote. Can get educated with resources- just read online or get it sent to them.

Chris: Great service, would be useful. Value added- community engagement, value added to community we are part of. No other clearer way to get involved than voting. Move to question.

24 in favor -- 3 opposed -- 1 abstain

Motion passes

Merrit: Thanks for discussion. Good first two allocations to see how discussion works.

Student Organizations Committee (SOC)

Johannes: Elections have happened, so we will start approving orgs and writing charters. Hope to get done soon; there are some new/different orgs this year.

Academic Affairs Committee (AAC)

Remy: Not much yet. Excited to have another member. Space report will be presented next Tuesday during lunch block in Olin-Rice. Will get more sense of what's in there to advertise.

Hoped to find something about MCSG/AAC 24 hour study space initiative. What we found is more long term- renovations, off campus spaces. Students showing up won't hurt, you'll learn something. Trying to identify space for 24 hours/extended hours- issues of size, staffing. Considering Janet Wallace- it's underutilized, looking into logistics as longer hours space.
Matt: When and where is the presentation? Let me know and I'll send an email.
Remy: Definitely next Tuesday at lunch. I will let you know when I know more.

Program Board

Olivia: High turnout to moulin rouge. We have new coordinators from first years.

General Updates

Johannes: How much money is left for additional allocations?

Sydney: I was sent an amount; not sure if it's exact but I will check for next Tuesday. Every student's activity fee is \$221, which goes into pot of money we can use. Before it goes to additional allocations pool, all orgs budgets, textbook reserves, PB, Lecture Coordinations Board, and travel grants are taken out. Every week I'll tell you how much we approved and then what's left after additional allocations we approve in meetings.

Rachel: Thought about talking to admin about raising student activity fee?

Sydney: Campus activities and operations has been pushing; it hasn't happened.

Merrit: Discussed with Ian. How best to do? Settled on, want to flow through instead of raising. Tie to rises in tuition. Not set amount but corresponding percentage- automatically get small increase. Eases up on arbitrary year to year decision. Can discuss if that's best.

Sydney: Should and will happen soon. We're getting to a point where we can't support student community that student body wants- org requests higher than money available to extreme extent. More orgs = more Flexi (\$200 per org), can be significant amount. Pressure might be tipping point.

Carl: Update on what I do on SSRC/SAAC. SAAC- brainstorming with board to increase opportunities to interact with non athletes. Possible events in spring/end of fall, participation for non athletes at athletic events. SSRC- mac in color in progress. Coloring book I made- collab from on campus artists, available at AAC coffee/donuts; many purposes- health/wellness, library, admissions, etc. Two bigger posters in MAX center.

Merrit: Couple logistical things. Retreat- you'll get email about when/where to be, what's happening, what to bring etc. Committee chairs- go around again, who you are, full committee name. Will follow up with first years- info and how committees get picked.

Johannes: Student Organizations Committee. Do what we can that's not budgeting- register, transition. OrgSync, questions/problems, help out. Thursday lunch meeting.

Sydney: Financial Affairs Committee. Handles money. Monday 5:30-6:30, Thursday 11:30-1:00. More time commitment, non-negotiable. Do additional allocations when we meet; end of next semester, do on larger scale for budgets over weekend (~20 hour commitment).

Remy: Academic Affairs Committee. Thursday lunch. More projects and events, not ongoing interactions. Textbook reserve, support, coffee and donuts, alumni fair, educator of the year.

Colin: Student Services and Relations Committee. Tuesdays at 11:30-12:30. Human resources of committees. More project based but not necessarily academic. Focus on mental health, food quality, inclusiveness. Expect people happy to do outreach on campus, look for problems/issues that need solving: maintain relations.

Cole: Expectation for class reps is communicating with class. Seniors (class of 2017) creating videos to send to class/social media, encourage you to consider how you interact with your class. Would be happy to discuss ideas with you.

Merrit: Point of info. You'll have time to meet in class cohorts on retreat.

Henry: What's the community chest?

Colin: SSRC. Pot of money for non-org students to get some money to do projects. Traditionally magazines but want to move away from that and will probably write financial code for clarity.

Sydney: Move to adjourn

Seconded

25 in favor -- 3 opposed -- 0 abstain