Tenure-Track Positions in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
Applications are invited for two tenure-track assistant professor positions, one in Analysis and one in Applied Mathematics, to begin Fall 2019. Candidates must have completed or be completing a PhD in Mathematics, or closely related field.
In applied mathematics, we seek candidates who model and study natural, social, or humanistic phenomena with tools from varied areas of mathematics; these areas might include ordinary and partial differential equations, nonlinear dynamical systems, numerical methods, and more. In mathematics, we seek candidates with research interests in analysis and its applications. Strong candidates for either position will have a track record in the mentoring of undergraduate research and a commitment to teaching and research in an undergraduate liberal arts environment.
Macalester offers an attractive environment for mathematical scientists with majors in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Statistics, and Computer Science and minors in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, and Computer Science. Our department has developed an innovative curriculum and built strong relationships with allied disciplines. We work with diverse student populations and teach courses that include elements of civic engagement. We value a record of experience or demonstrated interest in these efforts.
For more information about our programs, see:
- Majors: Mathematics | Applied Math and Statistics Major | Computer Science
- Minors: Mathematics |Statistics | Data Science | Computer Science
- Events: Problem Solving | DataFest | Data Science At Macalester Flyer
- An active Speaker Series, including a Department Seminar, the annual MSCS and Society Lecture, and regular Beyond Mac talks that connect our students with people living life after MSCS.
- Senior Capstone Projects: 2018 Senior Capstone Project Descriptions
Macalester College is a highly selective, private liberal arts college in the vibrant Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area, with a population of approximately three million people and home to numerous colleges and universities, including the University of Minnesota. Macalester’s diverse student body comprises over 2000 undergraduates from 49 states and the District of Columbia and over 90 nations. The College maintains a longstanding commitment to academic excellence with a special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society. As an Equal Opportunity employer supportive of affirmative efforts to achieve diversity among its faculty, Macalester College strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups. MSCS Department home page | Twin Cities Mac Facts | Macalester Infographic | NY Times 36 Hours in Minneapolis
Recent MSCS News at Macalester
- 87 MSCS majors were awarded in the Macalester College graduating class of 2018, making MSCS by far the largest department at the college; 17 of these students were Math Majors and 37 were Applied Mathematics and Statistics Majors.
- The Macalester class of 2019 has 118 declared MSCS majors.
- Two of the 19 students awarded NSF Graduate Research Fellowships for Statistics in 2016 are recent Macalester graduates. ASA News
- Game of Thrones
Complete applications include: (1) a cover letter that includes a statement of interest in Macalester and the liberal arts; a curriculum vitae; (2) graduate transcripts; (3) a statement of teaching philosophy; (4) a research description; and (5) three letters of recommendation. Submit electronic copies to www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/12116. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by November 15, 2018. For further questions, contact Tom Halverson, firstname.lastname@example.org.