Teaching Postdoc in Statistics
Macalester College invites applications for a two-year teaching postdoctoral position in Statistics to begin fall semester 2021. Candidates should have completed a Ph.D. in Statistics or Biostatistics. The position will have a reduced teaching load with a small number of course preparations.
Our department offers a major in Applied Mathematics and Statistics, with pathways in statistics and data science, as well as minors in Statistics and Data Science. We embrace the combined, collaborative nature of our Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science (MSCS) Department in which faculty and students collaborate across disciplines. MSCS is the largest department on campus in terms of enrollments, and in the graduating class of 2020 there were over 100 MSCS majors (roughly 20% of the graduating class). Many of these students have interests in statistics and data science. Our faculty value pedagogical and curricular innovation, undergraduate research mentoring, and outreach to the vibrant Minneapolis and Saint Paul metropolitan community. The multidisciplinary environment in the department provides a rich and collegial setting for student education and faculty research.
The MSCS Department has six full-time statisticians and several other math and computer science faculty who contribute to the curriculum. The postdoc will participate in all aspects of the program, receive mentorship in teaching, curricular design, and research, and have opportunities to collaborate in research with students.
For more information about our programs, see:
- Majors: Mathematics | Applied Math and Statistics Major | Computer Science
- Minors: Mathematics |Statistics | Data Science | Computer Science
- Events: DataFest | Data Science At Macalester Flyer
- An active Speaker Series, including a Department Seminar, the annual MSCS and Society Lecture, and regular Beyond Mac talks that connect our students with people living life after MSCS.
Macalester College is a highly selective, private liberal arts college in the vibrant Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area, with a population of approximately three million people and home to numerous colleges and universities, including the University of Minnesota. Macalester’s diverse student body comprises over 2000 undergraduates from 49 states and the District of Columbia and over 90 nations. The College maintains a longstanding commitment to academic excellence with a special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society. As an Equal Opportunity employer supportive of affirmative efforts to achieve diversity among its faculty, Macalester College strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups. MSCS Department home page | Twin Cities Mac Facts | Macalester Infographic | NY Times 36 Hours in Minneapolis
Recent MSCS News at Macalester
- 102 MSCS majors were awarded in the Macalester College graduating class of 2020, making MSCS by far the largest department at the college; 12 of these students were Math Majors and 45 were Applied Mathematics and Statistics Majors.
- The Macalester class of 2021 has 104 declared MSCS majors.
- Two of the 19 students awarded NSF Graduate Research Fellowships for Statistics in 2016 are recent Macalester graduates. ASA News
- Game of Thrones
Applications should be submitted via https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/17275. We require 1) a cover letter describing your interest in Macalester and the ways in which you would contribute to our program, 2) a curriculum vitae, 3) two reference letters, 4) a teaching statement, 5) a research statement, and 6) graduate transcripts. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position may be addressed to Vittorio Addona (email@example.com).