- Apr 25 Spring Dance Concert
- Apr 25 Macalester Orchestra Spring Concert
- Apr 26 Pipe Band Concert
- Apr 27 Pop and Jazz Combos Concert
- Apr 28 The Macalester Viol Consort Presents a Lunch Concert
- May 1 Opening reception for the Senior Thesis Show
- May 1 Off-Kilter Spring Concert
- May 2 African Music Ensemble Concert
- May 3 Have a Folktastic Time with Flying Fingers!
- May 9 Scotch Tape A cappella Final Concert
This summer, Diane Rubin ’13 (Amherst, Mass.) and Jenny Liu ’13 (Hsinchu City, Taiwan) saw firsthand that exploring biology isn’t limited to textbooks in a classroom. Some days it takes waders and wetsuits, too.
As two of the Macalester students working as research assistants with biology professor Dan Hornbach, their work took place in both the lab and the water. Part of their research involved collecting data from a stream in the Belwin Conservancy, a 1,300-acre preserve half an hour away from campus. “They get an authentic research experience,” says Hornbach, who works with teams of students each summer. “They actually get to be involved in projects where we don’t know the answers, where we’re trying to find out the answers to particular questions. Providing those experiences for our students is what we’re supposed to do.”